1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Opinion on this projector setup with HID kit.

Discussion in 'Performance Lighting' started by Splint333, July 29, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Splint333

Splint333 New Member

City, State:
    Texas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 XLT
    I was looking to increase my light output and came across these. I was looking for something bright and I know HID in housings designed for halogen bulbs will shoot the beam everywhere distracting other drivers. Found this on ebay and was wondering if this anyone has had experience with this manufacturer or this type of setup. Thanks for the input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SLIM...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. FIND

FIND Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Vermillion, SD
    99 XLT V8 AWD
    Those are just standard aftermarket housings that come with an HID bulb retrofit. They are designed for halogen bulbs.

The way halogen projectors are designed however makes them work a lot better for HID bulb retrofits than halogen reflectors. In other words, they are generally not annoying or at least not nearly as annoying. They are nowhere near as good as an actual HID projector, but, yeah...

As for any information regarding the quality of the actual kit or that particular headlight housing, I've got nothing.

4. Splint333

Splint333 New Member

City, State:
    Texas
    '99 XLT
    Well for $210 I'm gonna give them a shot. I'll take some pics and put them up afterwards. I'm still assuming it will be a great improvement over stock and if nothing else, it will update the look of the front end. My fluted lenses are clouded and just look dated.

5. laxattack

laxattack Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    1996 XLT AWD
    all I have to say is good luck, thats essentially what i have with HIDs and I am officially looking into a retrofit using '01 mounty headlights and retrofitting them instead. The light output has been much WORSE than stock sadly.

6. Splint333

Splint333 New Member

City, State:
    Texas
    '99 XLT
    Well that sucks. I just got them today but I'll give them a try and put up some beamshots vs stock. Thanks for the input though.

7. Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp Elite Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Greenville, MI
    98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
    Just be sure to go with 4300K bulbs.