Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Opinions on possible Sensatrac front / Reflex rear setup for Sport 02 RWD

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by danny8280, September 3, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. danny8280

danny8280 New Member

City, State:
    Miami, FL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 Explorer Sport
    Does anyone currently run, or ever try, a Sensatrac front / Reflex rear shock setup on a RWD Sport? I'm replacing OEM shocks and would like opinions on running that setup from anyone that has tried it. It's a daily driver that is not taken off road. I would have gone Reflex all around if they carried the front shocks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    No I haven't but since Reflex is firmer than Sensatrac, especially the first ~inch of travel, you'd probably get a ride closer to that with KYB Gas-A-Just.

http://www.kyboutlet.com/kyb-kg54309-gas-a-just-shock-absorber.html

A certain % of people like them and a certain % say they're too firm, but a certain % like Sensatrac and a certain % say they're too mushy.

4. my98nnj

my98nnj Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boonton, New Jersey
    1998 XLT
    I hated the Sensatrack's on my truck they Lack ride control. I liked the KYB's, smooth, firm, controlled ride.

5. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    +1 on the KYB gas-a-just shocks. i'm very happy with them.

6. coppe

coppe Active Member

01 xls v6 SOHC
    Mine is 2wd four door, and I have that setup, since I couldn't find reflex for the front in my country. I like how it behaves, I do onroad driving mostly, and I feel adequate control, comfort, etc. I also replaced the fifth shock, and it helped body roll a lot. Then again, I don't know if sports have the fifth shock. I would recommend checking and if necessary replace balljoints and stabilizer bar connecting rods and bushings, power wash and relube the springs in the back, and you will get a better result.

7. 93 x_SPORT

93 x_SPORT Elite Explorer

City, State:
    GARRETT, IN
    2001 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
    I have sensatrac front/Monroe load assist in back. Also replaced front sway bar end links and bushings. Overall best riding/handling explorer I've had (I've had four).

Up next will be EE rear sway bar.

8. SoNic67

SoNic67 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Newport News, VA
    2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
    Sensatrac's are sloppy and undecided, very undamped until they "travel" some 1". Then they firm up slightly. Because of that the car will have some small "oscillations" most of the time.
    Very annoying. I have made the mistake to buy four (three, one free), to replace them with KYB Gas-A-Just (monotubes).

9. Torqueranger

Torqueranger Active Member

99 ford explorer 5.0l
    I have 2 explorers and one has factory supplied with 148,000 miles on them and the other has monroe shocks on it and it acts like they aren't even there...So monroe in my opinion is a complete waste of money and will now try KYB shocks and see how they perform..

10. ThreeJs

ThreeJs Active Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas/Henderson NV
    96 EB Explorer 4x4
    I am very happy with the Rancho RS5000's I put on the front of my 96 EB 4x4. The rears will also be Rancho RS5000's when I have the time.

11. pzy3339

pzy3339 Active Member

City, State:
    columbus ohio
    2006, 4x4 Limited 4.6
    I also had the sensatracs on the front and air shocks on the back of my last x, a 4x4 99 xlt. It was much better cornering and braking, didn't sway or dive as much. Ride was a bit stiffer than the stock.

12. danny8280

danny8280 New Member

City, State:
    Miami, FL
    2002 Explorer Sport
    That's pretty much what I'm looking for. Firmer that stock but I want it to be even all around. It's too bad they don't make the Reflex for the front anymore or it would've been a quick decision. Leaning towards the KYB at this point. Once I get the shocks in I'll follow back up with my opinions on them

I definitely have to take care of the body mount bushings as well, as they've all disintegrated and the metal-on-metal is a nightmare.

13. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    It's a bit different trying to get even all around on a regular X or a sport vs a car because your vehicle weight ratio of front to rear changes based on the load, and with the leaf springs in the rear.

However you could just use the KYB on both front and rear, but without 4WD/AWD and if there is no load in the back, you're going to have the KYB's reacting firmer than those of us with heavier total vehicle weight... at least I am assuming a RWD sport weighs less at both ends. How many leaves does the rear spring have? If one fewer then that may cancel out.

Heh, leave it up to me to make things complicated. I like a firmer ride so I'd still get the KYB.

Last edited: September 8, 2014
  14. rkh58

rkh58 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ocean Twp, New Jersey 07712
    2005 XLT V6 4x4
    I bought my '98 in 2009 with 147,000 miles on it. The original owner had KYB Gas-A-Just put on just before he traded it in. I now have about 185,000 on it and the shocks are as good now as they where then. If I ever have to replace them it will be with the same. They ride smooth, firm, no roll in turns, and I'm not really gentle on my truck. No complaints at all.

Last edited: June 29, 2015
  15. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
  16. SoNic67

City, State:
    Newport News, VA
    I just switched the fronts too to KYB Gas-A-Just. Best decision ever, too bad I didn't do it when I did the rears...
    Especially when I saw that the Sensatracs were already blown at 40k miles.

PS: KYB monotubes are poor man's Bilsteins :) I paid $72 on Amazon, shipped to my house for two fronts (had a code). Bilstein is $82 for one, no shipping included.

17. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    ^^ IMO the Bilsteins are good but sort of expensive, possibly overkill for a RWD sport driven only on-road, which is also why I didn't mention the KYB Monomax. http://www.kyboutlet.com/kyb-561001-monomax-shock-absorber.html

On the other hand, Monroe currently has a "Shocktober" promotion where if you buy 4 you get back the price of one via a prepaid debt card rebate. It's a shame they don't make the front Reflex any longer.

That rebate is also good for Ranchos but it lists only the RS5000 series, bringing them down near price parity at $160 after rebate for all 4. Then again while they may be heavier duty they aren't necessarily going to give any more control, at least AFAIK they're not monotubes.
    http://www.monroe.com/en-US/promotions/

Edit: Nevermind, on Rancho's site the rebate does cover the adjustable RS9000 too but they're also probably overkill.
    http://www.gorancho.com/promotions.php

18. SoNic67

City, State:
    Newport News, VA
    That's how they "got" me - buy 3 get 4 campaign :)
    I didn't research enough.
    Yes the MonoMax probably is at the same level with Bilsteins. I spoke with a KYB tech rep and he told me that Monomax is some 50% "firmer" than OE, while Gas-A-just is some 30%. He confirmed that Monomax is recommended for towing, plows on front, off-roading (bigger diameter takes bigger mechanical load absorbtion, allows for more heat dissipation).

However the high pressure gas allows for a progressive effect - the gas absorbs the short pulses immediately (like cracks in the pavement). The dual tubes need multi-valving to get a similar effect - from 2 to 10 valves with different pressures. Monotube gas acts like a infinite number of valves.
    I decided that for my family vehicle, Gas-A-Just are just right.