1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Optimum antenna length for FM radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by RangerX, July 11, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Omao, Kauai
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
    Is there one? I seem to recall hearing once that 40something inches would give the best reception.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    Antenna length is based on frequency not FM or AM modulation.

What frequency are you working ?

4. RangerX

City, State:
    Omao, Kauai
    '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
    Sandy, I have no clue how to answer your question.
    On the off chance you think I'm a 'knowledgable radio guy' asking about some other type of radio, I'm talking about my stock Ford am/fm radio/cassette and stock antenna. I was hoping you or Ray might know.

5. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    RangerX,
    No problem here, I thought you were setting up a two way radio in your vehicle, i.e. CB, HAM...

The stock radio antenna that comes with the vehicle is a good compromise for all of the station that your radiocan receive or for any AM/FM broadcast radio that you may buy.

The only time you should worry about the length of an antenna would be if you wanted to listen to one station in particular; you would then find out the broadcast frequency and have an antenna cut to length for that specific frequency. BUT, I have never heard of anyone having a custom antenna made for the AM/FM broadcasting frequencies.

If you do not receive the stations that you want or the station does not come in as well as you would like it, it may be the radio itself. Look into an after market radio; one with a better receiver than a stock radio. Buy a name brand, i.e. Pioneer, Sony, or any other big company.

I hope all of this helps, I tend to go on and on.

6. RangerX

City, State:
    Omao, Kauai
    '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
    Sandy, nothing wrong with going on and on, there's no such thing as too much information!
    I'm not having a problem with reception. I was thinking there's probably one length on a stock adjustable antenna (it telescopes) that would work best for the whole FM band, but your comments lead me to think that isn't true. I realize it's pretty trivial, but is fully extended the position it's meant to be in? I'm thinking free optimization, here!

7. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    Braodcast FM antenna length

Bill,

You can calculate the length of any 1/4 wave antenna by dividing 234 by the frequency desired in mHz. This gives you the approx. length in feet. To get it in inches, simply multiply by 12.

So for FM broadcast, which has a range of 88-108 mHz, you could calculate for mid band (unless you have a special station you listen to all the time). This would be 98 mHz. so....

234/98 = 2.388 ft X 12" = 28.7"

If you go to the bottom of the band, 88 mHz it becomes 234/88 = 2.66' X 12" = 31.9"

Just for the fun of it, I measured the factory antennas on three cars and they ranged from 29" to 32", essentially what we calculated above. I'd probably go for the 32" length, since recieve antennas aren't as length critical as transmit antennas. Hope this helps.

8. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    Telescoping Ant

Ok on the antenna telescoping... that is a little different, have never heard of it on an FM mobile antenna.

Try Ray's method, as was mentioned, it will work.