Ouick Oil Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ouick Oil Question

Originally posted by dogfriend

I'm pretty sure that Molakule is an Organic Chemist. Ive already posted over there on a thread discussing safety issues with synthetic oil.

I searched for some info on Valvoline Synpower, cause thats what Ive been using. It seems like people think its ok, but think it is overpriced for what it is. Also, some people seem to avoid Valvoline because they are perceived to be untrustworthy with regard to their advertising. Does this seem correct, or have you seen some other info that would contradict this?

I think that people on Bob's oil board don't like Valvoline for a few reasons.

1. They are marketing a 100% Syn that is actually just an over priced hydrocracked base oil.
2. The used oil analysis for Valvoline has not posted numbers to support paying syn prices.
3. Valvoline changed one of their other oils, MaxLife, for the worst without even telling the tech support people. MaxLife orignaly posted great numbers and many thought that it was the best bang for the buck because it had a generous amount of Moly in it for barrier lubrication and it was a group 2/3 oil. However, they reformulated, dropped the Moly and made it worse in order to save a buck.
4. I think the main reason is that most people who want and pay for a 100% syn want it to be 100% syn instead of just an ultra pure dino oil.

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't find a UOA for the Valvoline synthetic (psuedosynthetic?) yet. I'm not really looking to run for extended drain intervals, so it meets my needs ok. However, I may consider going back to Mobil 1(for roughly the same price) which I used in my previous truck, or possibly using AMSOil for about $7.50 more per oil change (the original formula, not XL7500). The only thing I have against AMSOil or any of the other "pure" synthetics is availability. I would rather be able to pick it up locally. Only a few places carry AMSOil and Redline here and they mark it up pretty high ($8-9/ qt)

The only thing I have against AMSOil or any of the other "pure" synthetics is availability. I would rather be able to pick it up locally. Only a few places carry AMSOil and Redline here and they mark it up pretty high ($8-9/ qt)

Contact AgExplorer, he will sell Amsoil to you at a great price and it is delivered to your door. Couldn't be easier.....

how much is shipping on 12 qts?

I didn't find a UOA for the Valvoline synthetic (psuedosynthetic?) yet. I'm not really looking to run for extended drain intervals, so it meets my needs ok. However, I may consider going back to Mobil 1(for roughly the same price) which I used in my previous truck, or possibly using AMSOil for about $7.50 more per oil change (the original formula, not XL7500). The only thing I have against AMSOil or any of the other "pure" synthetics is availability. I would rather be able to pick it up locally. Only a few places carry AMSOil and Redline here and they mark it up pretty high ($8-9/ qt)

It was on the old board. We moved to the current site about 5 months ago. Before it was on a very crude website and board.

One last thing about Mobil 1, Walmart carry's the 5qt jugs many times for $17.88/5 qt. About $3.58/qt. Great deal!

Back