Our New 2011 Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Our New 2011 Explorer

I just added the rear bumper protector to my X:

P3030001.jpg

P3030003.jpg

I'll try to get a better shot once it's clean and in daylight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just added the rear bumper protector to my X:

P3030001.jpg

P3030003.jpg

I'll try to get a better shot once it's clean and in daylight.

What is there from the factory, just painted bumper? Does the Limited have a protector standard?
It looks great, my 02 has this from the factory and I'm alway glad it is there.

The back is a rubbery adhesive that REALLY sticks well. You have to be very careful putting it on...:eek:

QUOTE=JDraper;2668412]The back is a rubbery adhesive that REALLY sticks well. You have to be very careful putting it on...:eek:[/QUOTE]Thanks for the info. My Highlander came with one but the aftermarket one for it covers the edge of the bumper where you also tend to get a few nicks. I'm definitely interested in getting one of these accessories. :thumbsup: Just wonder if the dealer has them in stock yet.

What is there from the factory, just painted bumper? Does the Limited have a protector standard?

Factory bumper is just painted. Don't know about the limited. Check Ford's site for the limited specs.

How much, where'd u get it? :) Looks great

Got if from the dealership. About $50.

Thanks for the info. My Highlander came with one but the aftermarket one for it covers the edge of the bumper where you also tend to get a few nicks. I'm definitely interested in getting one of these accessories. :thumbsup: Just wonder if the dealer has them in stock yet.

Mine wasn't in stock, but I ordered it last Friday and it was in Monday morning, so that means the distribution center has them in stock.

Got if from the dealership. About $50.

I will be stopping by tonight then... have 2 goldens, this is perfect, they always kick the bumper jumping in. Now if someone could just buy the ambient lighting kit + install so we can get a review on that!

I will be stopping by tonight then... have 2 goldens, this is perfect, they always kick the bumper jumping in. Now if someone could just buy the ambient lighting kit + install so we can get a review on that!

I didn't do that, but I did buy clear LED strips, tied them into the lighting system and mounted them up under the dash so the footwells light up when the interior lights are on :)

Factory bumper is just painted. Don't know about the limited. Check Ford's site for the limited specs.

I have never seen it mentioned in any of the standard equipment lists for the limited on any of the sites I have visited (including Ford's). Looks like this will have to be an accessory for me too...

So how has it been? We went and test drove one today for the first time (well I didn't, the wife did). Any regrets? Things you would add next time? She drove your basic $48k Limited. Wondering how much of that stuff one actually needs. :eek:

So how has it been? We went and test drove one today for the first time (well I didn't, the wife did). Any regrets? Things you would add next time? She drove your basic $48k Limited. Wondering how much of that stuff one actually needs. :eek:

I like it a lot. Fortunately ours has been devoid of most of the issues that have been mentioned. I have no A-Pillar buzz, no bluetooth noise, my MFT has worked pretty well (after the upgrade to 2.8), no windshield noise, the roof noise in the rain is no worse than any other vehicle I've owned.

Problems I've had:

MFT before 2.8 gave me some issues. On 2.8, it's worked nicely.

Had the cooling fans replaced under warranty.

"The Smell" in the driver's compartment. Seems to have gotten better over time though.

Defective rear window defroster. Fixed under warranty.

Features I'm glad I got/should have/should not have bought:

BUY THE TOWING PACKAGE AND GET AWD! Dang glad I did.

I'm actually glad I got the MFT. I like it. Yes, it has some bugs, but hopefully the new version coming out soon will cure all.

Wish I had gotten it with memory seats.

Glad I didn't get the 20" wheels.

I added the mud flaps and rear bumper protector after I bought it. They should be mandatory items with the vehicle.

On the fence about the sunroof..Kind of wanted it but didn't get it.

I could do without the BLIS system, but I like the sensors it has on the sides when backing out of a parking stall.

Glad I didn't get the "auto parking" feature. Waste of money IMHO. Turning radius on the Explorer is pretty good for it's size and it's not too bad to park (for it's size)

Wish I had gotten heated rear seats.

Don't have the DVD for the rear seats, but it would be nice to have for my daughter for long trips.

Random thoughts, good and bad:

BUY THE TOWING PACKAGE AND GET AWD!

At first the technology definitely can be distracting. After driving it for a while, you adjust to it, and it just becomes another feature that can be used when needed.

I love the reverse camera for hooking up my trailer. Makes it so much easier to do.

Tows like a champ. Outside of acceleration, it actually tows better than my '05 SuperCrew did. Granted, it doesn't have the full towing capacity of the SCrew, but 5k is enough for what I do, and even towing at the weight limit, the vehicle performs very well. The tow mode really helps a lot.

I find that I use the voice activated system about 50% of the time, and the buttons or touch panel the other 50%.

I wish the rear window was a hatch like it was on the older Explorers.

Handling and power are pretty good for this type of vehicle. Won't compare to my Mach, but compared to any other Explorer I've owned/driven, this is the best one yet.

Having said that, I'd LOVE to have the Ecoboost Turbo 3.5 in this thing. It would be a rocket!

Gas mileage is averaging around 19.5-20 MPG for the life of the vehicle.

This will NEVER be an offroader.

Very impressive in the snow.

Love the brakes. Even when towing with no trailer brakes it stops well.

View out the rear is limited.

Would like more room for the driver's left foot. But then again, I'm 6'1".

Wish they had checked the design before making the molds for the F&%@*ng doors so they didn't drench you when getting in after it's rained!!! You have to step back when you open the door. Water collects along a valley in the top of the door frame and drains off the back when you open the door. Instant shower :mad:.

Wish the hill descent feature worked at any speed.

Overall, I would buy it again. I do miss my F-150 for it's bed capacity, but I've got a trailer that helps with that problem. Other than that, this out brakes, out accelerates, out handles, out comforts and out gas-mileages my '05 SCrew and it's a lot better in the snow.

One more comment. It seems that the majority of the people who regret purchasing it, do so because of the MFT issues. If the upcoming fix actually works as advertised, I think you'll see a lot more satisfied people. Thankfully my MFT has been fairly trouble free. I've never had to pull the fuse or pull the battery cable to re-set it. It's only gone to the Black Screen of Death once, and that was on 2.4. My MFT boots within 10 seconds, and after fully booted, and screen tap response is just about instantaneous.

I like it a lot. Fortunately ours has been devoid of most of the issues that have been mentioned. I have no A-Pillar buzz, no bluetooth noise, my MFT has worked pretty well (after the upgrade to 2.8), no windshield noise, the roof noise in the rain is no worse than any other vehicle I've owned...
Wow, great write-up, JDraper! Thanks for taking the time to type that out. I’m sure this’ll come in handy for those considering which options to get. :D

Cory

This and other reviews by JDraper on the new explorer are the ones I take the most serious. I hope Ford is listening.

Wish they had checked the design before making the molds for the F&%@*ng doors so they didn't drench you when getting in after it's rained!!! You have to step back when you open the door. Water collects along a valley in the top of the door frame and drains off the back when you open the door. Instant shower :mad:.

Funny, I have done this a few times already... Really sucks.

Also, it seems like the doors somehow swing out further then what I'm used to. If I'm not careful I could sure cause a lot of door dings...

Congrats on the new X. I apprreciate the review. Keep us posted.

Well, I owe someone on here an apology. I got a PM from a member a while ago about how to mount the driving lights in the lower grille opening, and I just realized I never sent the pix!!! Unfortunately I can't find the PM either.

So..here's the way I mounted my driving lights. After removing the lower grille section, I discovered that there are two metric threaded inserts already tapped into the metal bumper section on each side of the opening in the nose. I made a flat plate with 3 holes in it to mount against the bumper support. Two holes line up with the threaded inserts, and the third is offset to the rear to accept the driving light mounting bolt. I bolted the light to the plate, and then installed the plate onto the vehicle.

Here's a picture of the plate and light mounted to the bumper support:

P4020005.jpg

This is how the light sits in the opening:

P4020003.jpg

Again, I apologize to whomever I forgot to send this to!!:(

Back