Out of square, torsion bars or pads or upper bj or...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Out of square, torsion bars or pads or upper bj or...?

Reaction score
City, State
Selkirk, MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport 4wd
Last weekend while wheeling someone pointed out my camber was off on my driver side, it was a touch out before (stock adjuster is maxed out) but acceptable, however it looked real bad.

Got it home and did a bit of diagnoses, came to the conclusion my drivers side upper bj is worn and has some play.

Today I pulled it into the garage to have another look, and the geometry seems good.. buuuut the drivers side front is sitting a good 3/4" lower than the pass.

I'd be inclined to assume the torsion bar is weak, the adjusters are maxed out and I run without the sway bar so the front end gets a lot more workout than normal.. but that doesn't explain why it looked different a week before.

Could a small amount of play in the bj explain this? Is it possible the torsion bar pad is worn and getting displaced? It saw some (read: a lot) of three wheeling last weekend, so if anything was going to get stuck behind the pad, that'd be the time it would have happened.

Insight?

Back