Outside Air Temperature Sensor

zkeeton

Reaction score
City, State
Fergus Falls, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hello Everyone!

I have a 97 Explorer 4.0L SOHC, that I purchased a few weeks ago. I am working on getting all of the quirks out of it, and this is the last one. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and NAPA and they told me I need an ambient air temp sensor, since the temp is always reading -40. The part the sold me is this: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=NIE&MfrPartNumber=TS25661&PartType=761&PTSet=A However, when I took the truck into the shop, the guy said I had the wrong part, and that the part I had was for the air intake air temp sensor. The part he pulled has two female holes in the connector, and instead of a nipple, has a rounded dome on the end of it.

So my questions is, is: Where can I find the right sensor?? Is it something that I will have to go to Ford and buy (don't want to, since it'll be 3X the price) Or is the right part out there somewhere?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be careful though, the -40 settting can alse be a wiring problem not the sensor.

Yes, either try FPN if you want new, or check out a salvage yard. I don't believe those sensors are a common part to fail. I actually have never heard of one going bad.

The parts is pretty simple to replace. It is just behind the grille shell.

What kind of wiring is involved with it though? From looking at the sensor, it looks like there are only two wires that run to it.

You really don't need to wire it. If you get a correct replacement, it should just be a connector that you plug right in.

tempsensor1.jpg

tempsensor2.jpg

Just open the headlight access flap on the drivers side and you can see it down there.

Well It was the sensor. I went to the local junk yard, and they gave me the sensor for free, and now my temperature reads accurately. Thanks for the pic and all of the help!

No problem man, glad you got it taken care of for free.

this is awesome. same thing went bad in my 1997 eddie bauer explorer. the sensor is in the same location right?

1997 Ambient Air Temp Sensor

I did go ahead and replace the sensor, but it didn't fix the problem. I read above that it may also be a wiring issue. Could someone please let me know what to look for and where it would be an issue? I traced the wires back as far as I could and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

Make sure the electrical contacts at the sensor are free of dirt and corrosion. Poor contact will change the electrical values and mess with the readings.

I know this thread has been dormant for nearly a decade, but I'm currently in the process of swapping the overhead console from my '97 XLT into my '00 Sport and I'm struggling to identify the ambient air temp sensor. When I wired everything up in the '00, the compass worked, but the thermometer was stuck on -40, presumably because the truck has no temp sensor.

I identified this sensor by the driver's side of the radiator under the driver's headlight on the '97, but it does not look like the replacement sensors I've seen on RockAuto -- can anyone confirm this is an ambient air temp sensor (the black tube in the center of the pic)?
20210817_175758.jpg

It's right below what I believe is the driver's side airbag crash sensor (white sensor pictured below) and the two wires coming out of it are Blue/White and Blue/Yellow
20210817_175823.jpg

Thanks!

I know this thread has been dormant for nearly a decade, but I'm currently in the process of swapping the overhead console from my '97 XLT into my '00 Sport and I'm struggling to identify the ambient air temp sensor. When I wired everything up in the '00, the compass worked, but the thermometer was stuck on -40, presumably because the truck has no temp sensor.

I identified this sensor by the driver's side of the radiator under the driver's headlight on the '97, but it does not look like the replacement sensors I've seen on RockAuto -- can anyone confirm this is an ambient air temp sensor (the black tube in the center of the pic)?
View attachment 341670

It's right below what I believe is the driver's side airbag crash sensor (white sensor pictured below) and the two wires coming out of it are Blue/White and Blue/Yellow
View attachment 341671

Thanks!
I have the same sensor but I don't know if it's ambient sensor or outside air sensor. Any info?

You really don't need to wire it. If you get a correct replacement, it should just be a connector that you plug right in.

View attachment 368080
View attachment 368081

Just open the headlight access flap on the drivers side and you can see it down there.
Is this the ambient sensor or outside air sensor? I have the exact same one, don't know which it is.

I ended up getting mine wired up and can confirm it's just an outside air temp sensor for the overhead display -- not having one/not having one that works will not affect the way the engine runs.

I have the same sensor but I don't know if it's ambient sensor or outside air sensor. Any info?
just a thought- if your overhead console lights up showing temp, warm up that sensor you found and see if it changes on the console.

The sensor you posted was described as a black tube in the center. When you replaced it did the new sensor have the threads on it with a point at the end? It's made of plastic. Thanks, for the help.

The sensor you posted was described as a black tube in the center. When you replaced it did the new sensor have the threads on it with a point at the end? It's made of plastic. Thanks, for the help.
My a/c is automatic temp control and test is showing code of 041 which is ambient air temperature sensor is open in the test mode.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sensor I took from my '97 was the "black tube" in the picture I posted before, I didn't actually buy a new one because I knew the old one still worked. However, I pulled the wiring for the sensor from a '99 in the salvage yard and it came with a threaded sensor, so I believe they're interchangeable. The new sensors on RockAuto are all threaded.

Back