over 100mph in an explorer | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

over 100mph in an explorer

There's the nail head to hit. Keep up with the police radar, if you know how yours compares to the police radar, then you can avoid big trouble.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The newer GPS's should be pretty damn accurate. Much more so than your speedometer. Cops radars are accurate as well, but if calibrated improperly, they will read wrong. I had my speedometer doing just under 90mph last week and a cop clocked me doing 89mph. I would say my speedometer is pretty close:) I don't plan on having them check it out again anytime soon.

Police radar is as accurate as the calibration instrument they use to calibrate it (usually just a tuning fork - and if that tuning fork has a scratch or mark on it, or was dropped, the calibration can be off).

GPS is so extremely accurate (and always has been) that it can be considered 100% accurate. Aircraft and military equipment depend on its accuracy. It is continuously monitored, and any deviations (which are so infinitesimal, they cannot be measured without extremely precise scientific instruments) are corrected and uploaded to all GPS satellites, several times a day.

GPS is the most accurate way to measure speed. It may not match up with police radar, but that's because the radar is wrong.

Speedometers almost always read incorrectly. Even if they are correct, as soon as the tire wears a bit, they will be incorrect.

That is all true. I wish everything was prefect, but that's not going to happen. The tickets written by police don't usually get verified by a GPS, so the standard is still?

I think a cop's radar gun will always be innacurate because the speed it reads is the cosine function of the vehicle's real speed since a cop typically does not stand in the middle of the road. The closer he is to you, the more innacurate the reading is.

I think a cop's radar gun will always be innacurate because the speed it reads is the cosine function of the vehicle's real speed since a cop typically does not stand in the middle of the road. The closer he is to you, the more innacurate the reading is.

Most police here I think usually catch people while they are moving in the police car. Who knows how accurate their speedometer and radar gun are while moving. Tire wear affects them also, I've had four police cars.

See here in Alaska the only raidar gun the cops have are the ones where they have to be stopped to use. So no cop can pull you have for speeding while he is driving to, he has to have a raidar report to make it valad.

They make it up around here, I hear of their speeds being 10mph off from the "offenders" indicated speed. In court the judge accepts anything that the officer says. Right now the stop light cameras are spreading like rabbits, $50 per picture.

just a video i recorded on the backroad going home tonight, nothing special, not even too fast, well in a residential, 30mph zone its pretty quick :p

i maxed the spedo on my first gen. dosent seem like a big deal but it has a sas 7inches of lift or better and 33's. there are no words for that feeling well one but it starts with f and ends with uck

i maxed the spedo on my first gen. dosent seem like a big deal but it has a sas 7inches of lift or better and 33's. there are no words for that feeling well one but it starts with f and ends with uck

yeah people probably think oh thats not even fast, for a sports car or something like that, no not really, but for a brick on wheels, specially old first gens, its an adrenaline rush haha

Curious: If you really want to go fast, why not go to a track or a strip where you can do it safely? SCCA holds many events in MI for example: http://www.scca.com/divisions.aspx?div=gl. Plus in an SCCA event, you might even test your apexing skeelz!

just a video i recorded on the backroad going home tonight, nothing special, not even too fast, well in a residential, 30mph zone its pretty quick :p

Please don't ever do anything like that again. It's just begging for trouble especially in a residential area, what if some kid or animal was in the road? They wouldn't stand a chance, and you would be in jail for the rest of your life. If you want to speed take it to the track.

Mine rev limits out at 110. Has alot more to go though, its only at 2500 rpms...

04 4x4 4.0...

Mine rev limits out at 110. Has alot more to go though, its only at 2500 rpms...

04 4x4 4.0...

I was like, rev limits? He should be hitting the speed limiter if anything! But yeah, I have a tuner with the limiter turned off and some new wheels and tires. I just have to find a safe enough place and LONG enought to let this bad boy run wide open. I have a V8 and I am hoping to touch 130mph. Why? because I can and I will:) If I live to tell about it and don't get into trouble, I will post results with a video.

Ha yeah!

I would frequently have my spedo on my 1994 Ford Explorer V6 4.0 XLT pegged.

The spedo only went to 85. So I have no idea how fast I was going :(. All I know is that I was flying and my needle was smacking up against the peg at 0mph......

Now thats its summer I have not icy roads I will get mine up to 120-125 mph haha :) Thank you headers, intake, exhaust and custom tune! Thanks to everyone who has helped me with my truck! :salute: Cheers!

I just need to find somewhere long enough and safe enough. I thought about the airstrip right by me, but's it's only a mile long at best. I need at least a solid 2 miles. Someday:)

Oddly enough the only time I've hit governor in mine is also in NM/CO...

GPS isn't always as accurate as you'd like it to be. Even DGPS, which is what a/c use, and surveyors use, needs time to accurately decide where it is and whats going on around it.

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=650277B6-1A64-67EA-E43C4F57008DA7A1

the system (of which, there really are three) is so old, it is going to begin to degrade.

RADAR - cosine error only exists when a target is not parallel to the beam. If the horn is parallel to the roadway, there isn't any cosine.

RADAR is accurate if used properly. A nick on a tuning fork isn't an issue as long as its' not a particularly deep one. Tuning forks are NEVER used to calibrate a RADAR unit, only to verify correct operation. End users NEVER calibrate a RADAR unit; they are (supposed) to be sent to a shop periodically.

Even so, case law doesn't support using RADAR in greater than a 1 MPH increment. In other words, if the posted speed limit is 55, it would be hard to prosecute (theoretically) a citation for 56 miles an hour.

Tire wear is a negligable issue. Part of your calibration verification is to match patrol speed with speedometer readout. Speedometers (should) be calibrated by a shop on a periodical basis, and the tires can NOT be different than the ones specified.

Lastly, until recently, no jurisdiction in the US allowed RADAR as the primary method of establishing speed. RADAR / VASCAR / LIDAR all are tools to assist the officer in confirming their inital visual estimation of speed. All NHTSA approved RADAR / LIDAR (dunno about VASCAR) classes include a field practical portion where you go out, see a moving vehicle, estimate the speed, then see what the RADAR says.

The best, most accurate way to estimate speed is by measuring a distance, then using a chronometer to time how long it takes to traverse that distance, then mathing it out to determine speed.

-Shawn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I buried the needle down to the "2" on my gear selector. I am assuming that that was about 100 +/-.

I burned more gas in that long stretch of road than when I was doing 60 or 70.

Back