over 100mph in an explorer | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

over 100mph in an explorer

I drove to Florida at even at 80mph it doesnt feel safe, feel alot of wind and wants to push me around the road, have at it to 90 acelerating and the wind was not bad that day but that is it,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lastly, until recently, no jurisdiction in the US allowed RADAR as the primary method of establishing speed. RADAR / VASCAR / LIDAR all are tools to assist the officer in confirming their inital visual estimation of speed. All NHTSA approved RADAR / LIDAR (dunno about VASCAR) classes include a field practical portion where you go out, see a moving vehicle, estimate the speed, then see what the RADAR says. ...
-Shawn

That's good stuff Shawn, thanks for a little insight. I like that paragraph above, it sounds like the goal is to estimate speed, not to measure it, LOL.

I keep reading on here of people with GPS devices, and how it says blah blah blah. What happened to the speedometer in a vehicle, do they not work? I think I trust a road side radar display unit more than my speedometer or a GPS device.

I pass by those occasionally here, our local landmark is the orange and white barrel. I check my speedometer when I can. My Mountaineer with 30" tires seems to be accurate at all speeds. My Explorer with 29.5" tires seems to read about 10% fast most of the time. I see 50mph on my dash when the radar at the Business Loop shows 45mph.

How's it going in Oak Ridge, I haven't been up there in many months? Your roads are almost clear, this closed section of interstate here is wild. They have done a good job, but it seems slow. We shall see soon. Regards,

Most people with the GPS devices have them for destinations and most devices have a speedometer built in. As you said, your speedometer is not always accurate. A GPS usually is. Also, the faster you go, the more "off" some speedometers become. And if I wanted to do 130mph+, I would need a GPS because my ex only reads to 120mph.

Here in Texas, deer like to play patty cake. Imagine what would happen if one ran out in front of you at those speeds. Been there and done that.

Just went on another trip through New Mexico and took advantage again to zip through the state. I had the cruise control set to 90mph for two entire tanks of gas. The little SOHC was hauling balls down the road. And I was passed by an F-150 and Taho at that speed!

I have replaced my ball joints for Moogs since the last trip and the Explorer was a LOT less jittery at higher speeds. I felt quite comfortable cruising at 90mph. I even set the cruise on 100mph for a minute just for laughs. The engine wasn't racing either, the trans held OD and the tach sat at 2700rpm.
:shifty_ey

Traveling in powerful SUVs is the only way to go:thumbsup:

Who else continues to enjoy utilizing their powerful Explorers on the open highway?

wow.....i was on my way to my girlfriends graduation last sunday. I was on I-75 running late and got into the far left lane to pass the slow ones on the right. I wasent paying attention until my GPS said i needed to exit on the next off ramp bout a mile down the eway. I was already at 85 where my speedo stop. I had to pass the ratards going slow. Anyway i lookded down at my GPS n it said 106 mph. Mind you...im in an old 94 X too.
Drive safe everyone..its not worth the ticket or loss of a life.

I felt quite comfortable cruising at 90mph. I even set the cruise on 100mph for a minute just for laughs. The engine wasn't racing either, the trans held OD and the tach sat at 2700rpm.
:shifty_ey

Wow,thats low, how big are your tires?

Mine sits at 3000rpm at 75mph with 3.73s and 275/50/17s

Here in Texas, deer like to play patty cake. Imagine what would happen if one ran out in front of you at those speeds. Been there and done that.

Around the Lake idiots like to feed them so they are not afraid ,
had a friend of mine in a 90 GT vert avoid a herd of them only to have a buck slam into his car after he stopped!
Took out the fender and the front headlight..
In my little area they wont do that because we dont feed them , we eat them.
:D

Wow,thats low, how big are your tires?

Mine sits at 3000rpm at 75mph with 3.73s and 275/50/17s

I just have stock size tires and rims: 275s. At 75mph my tack is at about 2200rpms. I just remember my tack at 90mph was a bit below 3krpms, maybe it was something closer to 2800 or 2850rpms at 90mph.

I also have a 3.55 rear end gearing.

It sounds like your transmission might not even be in over drive if your tack is at 3krpms @ 75mph.

My 03 4.0 is rev limited to 103. It sees it quite often and ride pretty damn good. In overdrive at 103 im still under 3k on the tach. Stock tires with the 3.55 rear

get a sct device off henson performance and u can set ur speed limiter and rev limiter to watever u want, ive had my 03 V8 off the speedo, which is 220km/hr so at least 137m/h

Wicked:D

im my 92 eb 4 door i had my speedo down to the Overdrive and it still had some to go i think i had to do well over 100 or close to it. It was a open road and no cars insight. fastest i go now is 70 -75 mph

I went 90 for a decent amount of time once down a long strip of I-91 coming home from a trip to Vermont. Very clear road, there were a few cars which I passed (and, in retrospect, felt like that ass that I would always insult as he passes me going far too fast). Everything felt fine, just as smooth as going 50. My mind didn't really like the thought that if I so much as clipped something it'd be all over, though.

At one point I noticed two cops up ahead in a clearing between the barriers for North/South freeways. The one watching the other side was already set up, but the one watching my side was just turning into position. I definitely gave my brake a love punch and got out of the left lane. Lucky on that one. I'd say the road situation made that speed safe for everyone but me, but it's not like that would have gotten me out of a pretty expensive ticket.

going 100 mph or more is a nice way of killing yourself/others. your driving a suv NOT ment to go 100 and over. when i was in my teens i got my lic taken away so many times for doing dum things and also one day i was going 110 on my 03 and i almost filped the truck cuz of the wind thats why ford made them lower to the ground... just saying

This past winter I was just driving along at 65 and the truck would start to shake lol I would hate to add another 35mph lol

Many years ago, when my '97 5.0L AWD was new & stock I was traveling East on I-10 in Northern FL. I had set the cruise to 80mph, but started to follow a semi, anyway kept pace with semi for about 2 hours and looked at speedometer, 105. Explorer felt very comfortable, didn't feel like I was a dare devil.

P.S. I keep an eye on speedometer as truck is very comfortable above 80.

I hit 105 and climbing. today actually. Not something i want to do in an explorer. But when your ballsy friend passes you in an accord, you dont have much of a choice.
Red bluff road, A 6 mile straightaway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to do a cross country trip in 4 days, CA to MA. I'm pretty sure i was cruising along at 95 for most of the trip, and my car handled great! I even had a tire issue I found out later, so it might not have been the smartest thing to do.

Back