• Register Today It's free!

Over-torqued spark plugs

sarahsdaddy

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I just replaced the plugs on my 2000 Ex at 201k miles, first time I did as the new owner. I did use anti-seize. First, I must say that was far and away the worst experience I've ever had changing plugs. I've never had to remove tires and such to do that, plus it was incredible effort with various size swivels and extensions to get the necessary torque to remove. I almost broke the passenger side plug next to the firewall. Safe to say previous changer either over-torqued or didn't use anti-seize. VW four cylinders are a dream.

Anyway, it wasn't until after I finished that I saw on this forum that you're really not supposed to tighten them much. I cranked on them moderately hard, certainly a good amount more than the 14ft-lb I've since seen. Should I worry about this? I've not even started it since the change. I should never need to remove again as these platinum plugs should last the remaining life of the truck and it only gets about 500 miles/month. I really don't want to go through that again just to re-install more loosely. Will anything bad happen?

Okay, I wasn't so much worried about removing them in the future as I was that there was damage or stresses from cranking them in there higher than spec.

Back