Overall impressions of the 2020 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overall impressions of the 2020 Explorer?

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Since the 2020 Explorer has been on the road for months, I was wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade to the 2020 Explorer? I've got my 18 XLT AWD right now (N/A 3.5), biggest problem is lack of power. I managed to tune what I could out of the engine and trans. The difference is now night and day, but I can't make this engine produce another 100 hp.

So is it worth $60k to get the Explorer ST or shell out $50k for the Limited or perhaps XLT? How do these compare to the 16-19 Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a 2017 NA 3.5L XLT, and the 2.3L in the Limited easily outpowers it by a good bit. You can really tell when you hit the pedal. However based on my experience and those I work with, it's fair to say that the factory doesn't have this vehicle "nailed down" yet. Quality has been a problem.

The other option for me is to get the 2.3 EcoBoost and tune it, should be good for about 380 hp. Did you lease yours?

The other option for me is to get the 2.3 EcoBoost and tune it, should be good for about 380 hp. Did you lease yours?

Yes, it is a lease.

We purchased a new ST and really like the car a lot, though I'd be happier if it was just a bit smaller. We needed to purchase a new vehicle otherwise I would have definitely waited. My biggest concern is the production quality and all the issues being reported. I usually keep my vehicles 15+ years. The Explorer is replacing a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer from its first year of production. It has over 220,000 miles and has been trouble free. Not sure what to expect from the ST.

I have the XLT and absolutely love it! It replaced a 2015 XLT. It's so much better in ride, quiet, visibility and comfort. And it's a beautiful vehicle.

I have the XLT and absolutely love it! It replaced a 2015 XLT. It's so much better in ride, quiet, visibility and comfort. And it's a beautiful vehicle.
I believe the ride in all the 2020 Explorers and Aviators is better because they extended the wheelbase by 6". It was one of the first things I noticed in mine.

Peter

ST is much more enjoyable to drive in longer trips. I like the power the ST has when in sport mode and especially being able to disable the main four wheel drive by holding the button for 5 seconds. You can't even compare it to the previous generation explorer, or most other SUV brands because it is truly one of the few true branded SUV's that are rear wheel drive based, just like BMW X5, but stronger then X5 4.0 model.

Those of us that have bought us 2020 Explorers already are well aware that we risk more issues because we bought the 1st year of the new generation model. I have some of the issues on mine like clanking sound from front suspension, whistling noise is sometimes coming out of passengers front side mirror/doors but I will not leave my car at the dealer for multiple days, its just so much fun to drive it that I don't want to take it to dealership, only when it is due for the 1st oil change.

Put it this way, I’m a Mustang Enthusiast - have owned (20) to date including my 94 and 18... also having owned some Ford SUV’s, a prior 2004 Explorer and 2 Broncos (87 & 94)....

I’m in a 2020 ST loaner while my S550 is in for warranty work - and if you read my “ST Loaner” thread, the 2020 ST is DEFINITELY a freaking awesome SUV... I mean 400HP may not seem much to sports car Enthusiasts like myself or others, but 400HP from a Twin Turbo 3.0 6cyl, mated to a 10R60 pushing around 4,700+lbs on 20” rims that can also go and have fun off-road - is worth EVERY penny....

When the ST is in Sport mode, it’s a BEAST, period. It will leave even the most professional “stop light antagonist” stunned going “whut!?!”, while you’re smiling with the biggest grin imaginable...and 10 miles ahead... :)

I’ve had 10sec Mustangs and other sports cars through the years; I can honestly say, this ST surprised me when I drove it in Sport mode the first time! I’m already familiar with the newer Ford trans modes, the drive modes including using Sport and the paddle shifting coming from a prior 2016 S550 Mustang and being in my 2018 S550 Mustang w/10R80 - and I’m telling you, for those that haven't driven the ST yet, you just wouldn’t think a 4,700+lb SUV would move like the ST does in Sport mode... I mean, it’s just crazy.

Sure there’s the Jeep Trackhawk pushing 707hp from a 6.2 V8, but 400HP out of a TT 3.0 Explorer w/10R60 in Sport mode (which retains the power and power band like the 10R80) is the definition of F’N FUN. :)

Since I don't have mine yet, I have to base my opinion on the test-drive of the 2020 ST and from the moment I got in, it felt just right. Put it in Sport and, as Cobra Jet said, you got a BEAST.

Of course, the fit and finish is not top notch but that's not what I was looking for when I selected this vehicle. I was looking for a true utility vehicle that was also fun to drive. Sure, a Telluride has a more upscale interior...BUT WHERE'S THE FUN?? Certainly not in that engine...

I'm going to lease for 3 years and everything will be covered under warranty. I'm also expecting some minor issues but hey, show me another vehicle at that size and price that can do THIS:

I highly appreciate that Ford took a different approach on the ST. Instead of trying to copy all the other SUVs that want to be elevated sedans, the Explorer still feels like a truck.

I still grin every time I put it in Sport mode and do a quick pull. It doesn't feel like driving a big SUV, and handles very well. I generally forget about all the minor quirks. My biggest gripe is probably the slow responsiveness of the Sync 3 interface. You should be able to get a pretty good deal below MSRP with rebates by now.

I still grin every time I put it in Sport mode and do a quick pull. It doesn't feel like driving a big SUV, and handles very well.........
The Aviator is the same way only they call it "Excite" mode. And boy does it excite!:D

Peter

Watch this:

Yeah, I've seen this video before. Although there is some truth in regards to some issues he's having, I don't think this is a good review.

He's making false claims in regards to pricing of the audio-system and has a pretty exclusive negative opinion about the ST without even driving one. He's also claiming that the biggest issue would be the transmission while I've seen a review of the ST where it was stated how great it was.

All in all, while the Explorer certainly has issues, it's not the worst vehicle on the road - as it sounds like in 90% of this video.

At 13:10 mark: rear deflector in place!
Just the opposite, the deflector is not there!

Deflector.png

Says you can't full screen the backup camera and tries to pinch and zoom. Does he not see the 3 buttons underneath? Also, why would you make the backup camera go full vertical? The aspect ratio would be way off.

I gave him some credit...look at how well integrated the camera is in the Ram 1500
upload_2020-1-27_18-10-1.jpeg

Or in the Volvo:
upload_2020-1-27_18-11-22.jpeg

The screen is well integrated into the dash but the camera images still don't fill the portrait style screen. They only fill a third or so of the screen space but there are more buttons and such filling up the empty space.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I've seen this video before. Although there is some truth in regards to some issues he's having, I don't think this is a good review.

He's making false claims in regards to pricing of the audio-system and has a pretty exclusive negative opinion about the ST without even driving one. He's also claiming that the biggest issue would be the transmission while I've seen a review of the ST where it was stated how great it was.

All in all, while the Explorer certainly has issues, it's not the worst vehicle on the road - as it sounds like in 90% of this video.

Yeah, he says that we have one of the worst engines of any car manufacturer and that's when I started not to take this guy seriously.

Back