Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Overhead console display fix

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Thallarsen, May 30, 2007.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. SportTracMike

SportTracMike New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    02 Sport Trac
    Another one reporting in worked perfect, then when taking the board back in the house the button fell apart so I had to salvage one from an old satellite receiver.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Jakers_AK

Jakers_AK New Member

City, State:
    North Pole, AK
    2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin
    Ok so I had the same problem and sure enough when I took the overhead display apart there was the 510 resistor disconnected on one side. So I took it inside, and then dropped the little booger and after 30 minutes of combing through the carpet I don't think I will find it. So my question is does anyone know where I can order one of those resistors? It sure would be easier than llooking for the one I dropped and cheaper than replacing the whole unit.

4. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    Resistor coding uses the first two numbers as the value and 3rd # as the multiplier (power of 10), so it is 51 Ohms. You might find them on eBay, a baggie full for a couple bucks from a Chinese seller but will have to wait a month for them to ship, or at electronics suppliers Digikey is one of the cheaper places because they have no minimum order and will ship less than (8 oz?) a certain weight, USPS first class which used to be only $3 or so.

You might want to measure the remaining resistor to be sure this is the right size 0.248" L x 0.124" W (6.30mm x 3.15mm):

CRCW251251R0FKEG Vishay Dale | Resistors | DigiKey

5. 2sday

2sday New Member

City, State:
    North county
    2002 explore sport

Last edited: July 6, 2018
  6. Jakers_AK

Jakers_AK New Member

City, State:
    North Pole, AK
    2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin
    I live in Fairbanks Alaska, I called every electronics/gadget/hardware store in town and no one carries any. I found them on ebay and ordered 2 for $7.50. They got here in about 4 days, I got them soldered up and my console works again, thanks for the great thread and info. I was thinking it was a lost cause because the overhead unit I was using was the 3rd one I had tried that didn't work, I thought there was a wiring issue somewhere. I'm no electrician either by any means but I managed to get the little buggers on there using a butane fueled soldering iron. Which I DO NOT recommend. IDK what you call em but the little vents in the shaft blast out too much hot air and I had a hell of a time holding it on the solder long enough to melt it without melting the other components on the circuit board but I managed. Now I'm onto my next 2 projects, fixing the heated seats and front main seal :D

7. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    * Although that PCB is set up with pads for surface mount resistors, if you had to you could just use a leaded resistor instead, probably even a more common 47 ohm instead of 51, but at least 1W rated, put it at a funny angle and bend the leads to run across maximum solder pad area.

Given that it's in a vehicle and subject to vibration, if using a leaded resistor I think I'd want to also pop down a blob of sensor-safe RTV on the middle of the resistor to hold it in place better (or thermally stable non-acidic cure epoxy/cement/etc), making sure the PCB under it is clean for good RTV adhesion.

8. Explorer2.0

Explorer2.0 Our low milage and well cared for 2nd Gen TARDIS! Elite Explorer

1995 EXPLORER 4WD 4DR XLT
    Let's keep this thread alive! Our '95's display went from bad to worse over the last few weeks. We stumbled upon the fix in this thread. Thanks to all! This was the first time in awhile that we truly missed Radio Shack. We ordered 6 Panasonic caps from Amazon for ten bucks. Two days later... FIXED! Damn near instant on!

Team
    TARDIS

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    ^ Thanks for the pics.

Digikey.com is a great place to get capacitors. They have a parametric search feature to drill down to exactly what you need and a huge selection of premium quality parts, no minimum order limit, and cheap USPS shipping (under 8 oz).

Granted in this case, that capacitor didn't need to have especially high specs.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Explorer2.0

Explorer2.0 Our low milage and well cared for 2nd Gen TARDIS! Elite Explorer

1995 EXPLORER 4WD 4DR XLT
    We looked online but Amazon Prime seemed the quickest. Ordered Wednesday, installed Friday! We got Panasonic's better if not best caps. Overkill!

Team
    TARDIS

11. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    ^ Not necessarily overkill to the extent that the original cap probably failed from the heat produced by (what looks like) a linear regulator right next to it, so a major brand long life cap rated for 105C could be of benefit... except you may not need it to last THAT long on a vehicle now 24 years old.

Anyway, Digikey is great at getting orders shipped fast, though it might have taken an extra day over Amazon Prime... but would've only cost ~ $4 delivered.

• Like Like x 1
  12. donalds

donalds Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Nc
    1999 ford explorer sohc
    I use digikey to buy all my components lol

Last edited: October 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1