How to: - Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the color display of that console from green to something else using an LED or fiber optics? Or must the whole display be changed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the explanation of how to remove the console with a sunroof. Saved me a lot of time poking around for the trick. The solder problem isn't uncommon. I have a similar problem with my wife's Mistubishi 3000 radio. The solder fails with age, vibration and/or heat. Another item that is hard to figure out how to remove. Thanks again for the detailed step by step.

Another one bites the dust. My compass and temp failed, so I had my brother-in-law solder the durn thing for me. She works beautifully now...thanks.:thumbsup:

werd. once again, EF comes to my rescue

I replaced those two resistors with 68 ohms 1/4 watt resistors from Radio Shack. This allows lower power consumption and are easier to solder.

do you or anyone else have pictures of the above mentioned resistor soldered on the board by chance??? i know crap about this kinda stuff but always thought you can only attach those kind of resistors into the holes of the board and THEN solder them from the back of the board... mine doesn't have holes were the 510s were to begin with.

Diff Problem, same place

Hey, I am having a different problem in the same place. My display and MODE button work fine, and the right light button works as well, however the left Light button does not work.

Attached are some pictures.

1001296k.jpg

1001298t.jpg

side air

Have a problem with side air bags light stays on 2000 Frod explorer Can some one HELP?

My problem is slightly different but hopefully someone here will know. I dont have a problem with the display shutting off, but the temperature reading is always about 30degrees too low. At first is just read "OC" so i put in a new sensor and now the wrong reading......any suggestions?

Thallarsen; thanks for the advice the the fix it work for my 03 sport trac . My truck does not have a sun roof. Just two phillips head screws then two metal clips toward the windshield just pry out. Then solder the 510 res.

wow worked like a champ

thanks man -- your pictures and directions were perfect. One note, if you can't get the cable connected to the sunroof off you can take the entire switch loose. You may need a third hand to hold the switch to re-attach to the housing. The screws are really small. By the way, it's now 88 degrees outside!!

If the problem is accuracy (30 degrees off) the fix is to replace the sensor which is a plug in unit located left front of the radiator cowl.

If the problem is accuracy (30 degrees off) the fix is to replace the sensor which is a plug in unit located left front of the radiator cowl.

been there done that, I did that long before I posted on here. thanks though

I did this and it has worked great. But when I was removing the white cover I bent the display a bit now there are lines going across the display. Any ideas on what I will need to do to get this fixed?

Lines in the readout display

Maybe others will respond but I would guess the display has been damaged.

Yeah that's what i am afraid of. Perhaps I can hit a junk yard and get a new board.

It worked...I fixed it!

I tried out the fix for the overhead console readout, and got er' fixed up. I was starting to wonder about my soldering job, but guess it was good,as it lit up when I got it plugged back in.
Thanks to all for the excellent detailed fix for the overhead console!:):)

This time the fix was a two-fer. I went to a friend's house to get the solder job done and showed him the board. He said "Wait a minute" and came back with his board that hadn't worked for three years. Fixed them both on the spot.

Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Omg

Thank you so much! It worked. I have a 2003 sport trac (no sunroof). My husband took the console apart and there were the 2 510 resistors like you showed.I didn't see any broken solder but I added solder to both of the 510 resistors top and bottom. (my job is soldering circuit boards so it was easy and I had the solder and iron). My husband put the console back together hooked it back up in the car and it worked perfectly!!!!!! We can't thank you enough for the info you provided. Now I can see again how hot it is here in FL. 92 ouch. Thank you again, jetsgirl69
P.S. WHEN I TOOK IT TO FORD THEY WANTED $500.00 THEY SAID WE HAD TO REPLACE THE WHOLE CONSOLE.

Back