How to: - Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I have a 2003 sport trac no sunroof with 2- 510 resistors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old post. But Wanted to thank Thallarsen again for this one. I don't solder worth a damn but i still did and it still worked.

overhead display fix

i printed out the instructions and followed, it worked great i now have my overhead display after 4 month of a blank screen , thanks so much

New member , just joined to try to fix oue '99 Merc Mountaneer's Compass & Temp Display.
She is really missing it. I hope to get to try this fix asap

Fix overhead tem and compass. Iused your advise and probably saved 100.00 dollars. t

Email sent, Lockdown_70. For all of those who have had display problems, tried this fix and responded back to me, all have had success (so far).
I've been getting a bunch of requests for this lately, as if more people's consoles are crapping out (kind of like the display on the Mach head units).
Initially I tried to get the writeup with pictures in this thread, but I recall it being too large, and couldn't get it all in for some reason. I might try to get the whole thing in a new thread if I can.

fix

New member , just joined to try to fix oue '99 Merc Mountaneer's Compass & Temp Display.
She is really missing it. I hope to get to try this fix asap

I have bougt the tools,just waiting to get hands on vehickle...

I have bougt the tools,just waiting to get hands on vehickle...

When you are taking it apart make sure you DON'T bump the display at all. It will get screwed up very easily. I nudged it just a fraction and now have lines going across the screen. It works but can't see **** cause of the lines.

Good luck though. :D

When you are taking it apart make sure you DON'T bump the display at all. It will get screwed up very easily. I nudged it just a fraction and now have lines going across the screen. It works but can't see **** cause of the lines.

Good luck though. :D

I finished and it worked perfect. Thanks

Thallarsen Overhead Console Fix

Thank you Thallarsen !!!
Just to update for those still browsing looking for info. This fix is accurate and good as of Oct 2009. Excellent instructions just as posted - a breeze.
i have a 2000 Explorer limited w/sunroof and followed the instructions to the letter. The pics and directions were as accurate and complete as can be - helped make the fix as easy as can be. As an aside, i had to run by the dealer to get a recall item completed and I mentioned the overhead console problem and their answer was typical dealer only to replace the whole console at big bucks when your fix only took 15 mins.

F350 Fix

I had the same problem with my 2001 F350 I just purchased. I followed the instructions and took the unit apart. Low and behold one of the diodes had the solder connection broken. I purchased a $16.74 battery powered soldering pen from Marvins that came with solder. Ten min later I pluged the unit in and it worked!!! Thanks a million for your complete directions!!!

I am trying to do this fix right now but cannot locate the diodes with the 501 or 510 on them. Can someone point out the location, left, right middle ect or circle it on the photo with MS paint.

I have this same board in my 1996 Explorer

Thanks

eg5snr.jpg

Overhead console circuit board

I did our '99 Mounty 5 or 6 weeks ago, using the tips I found on this forum. I really did go to Radio shack and bought one of those magnifying glasses that sits on the table ($20), also got their 30watt gun and some really tiny solder.
I'm not seeing the two pieces that need to 'touched' in your picture. It took the magnifying glass to see mine. But they really do have the numbers on them and they are sibe by side on the board . As I recall, they are approx 1/8 inch rectangular.

I too have a non sunroof model... Mine only has one resistor and I also did the solder trick on it and it works great now... Many thanks to the originator and all others... Good Luck

In my 95, the display doesnt turn on for a while after its started, sometimes a matter of a minute or two, sometimes a matter of 10 minutes, the compass works fine, but the thermometer just says "OC" can anyone help?

2002 sport trac overhead console circuit fix

I was able to lift my 510 resistor up with a thumbnail. Once re-soldered it worked great. Thanks for the info.

Wow!!!

I think this will probably fix my Compass/Temp display. Just wanted to say "THANKS" for the great job explaining "How to"!! It became intermittent then just went totally out. I'll try the fix tomorrow in daylight.

Thanks again...Dead Link Removed

Scratch

Mine had a different board layout, much smaller than other's. Non sunroof 96 XLT.. Two resistors #'d "161". One popped off when I was exploring with a sewing needle.

Mine went out a couple of months ago so i got a new one and put it in. Does no good because it doesnt work either and i know it was a good unit. Also my heater blend door dont work along with my blinkers, cruise, and rear defrost. I replaced the multifunction switch and it worked for a couple days before goin out again. Im thinking its a wiring problem so i checked were the harness plugs into the MF switch and those are fine. Where else could this wiring problem be? also all my fuses are fine as i have checked them also. Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!!!

Just read the directions today and fixed my wife's Overhead Console. Awesome details and the wife is very happy.

My first soldering job didn't work. The second time, I just soldering the heck out of it and all it's all good.

Thanks again. Later...

- Wayne

Back