• Register Today It's free!

overheat auto shut off??

93 x

Reaction score
City, State
bothell washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
has anybody seen a kit that once the engine hits a certain temp it shuts down the coil pack or fuel pump. i know they sell a low oil pressure kit but i have never seen a high coolant temp one. i am trying to make it idiot proof cause u guys know how women can be with not looking at gauges haha:D

thanks for any input!!

The trouble with that is, when the motor is hot and you turn off the water pump, you will get isolated hot spots known as heat soak. Worst part about heat soak is it happens in the spots most likely to cause big problems. Like the cylinder head.

It's best to have a cooling system capable to handle your needs.

i never have to worry about my wife killing any of my vehicles because she refuses to drive a 5 speed and I refuse to buy an automatic.

We use engine shutdowns on all of our forklifts. It will shut down the engine for:
1) low oil pressure (yellow wire)
2) high engine temp (blue wire)
3) optional (trans temp, low oil level, etc) It all depends on what sensor you install and wire it up to. (green wire)

Search for Clark forklift P/N 1831955 (sometimes listed as CL1831955).

It doesnt come with sensors, you have to supply them (you can tap into existing switches). It works of idiot light sensors, when they ground it will sound an alarm for 30 seconds, then shut the engine down and blows the horn (or what ever you wire the orange wire up to). You can start it back up, if the sensor is still grounded, you have another 30 seconds.

Its a very easy system to install. 6 wires total. I've installed around 50+ of them. We've had about 2-3 go bad in the past 12 years.

A company called Kysor also makes a kit, found on some bigger trucks and equipment. That one is expensive. The Clark setup can usually be found for about $150 or so.

Back