1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

overheat auto shut off??

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by 93 x, July 20, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 93 x

93 x Active Member

City, State:
    bothell washington
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    93 xlt
    has anybody seen a kit that once the engine hits a certain temp it shuts down the coil pack or fuel pump. i know they sell a low oil pressure kit but i have never seen a high coolant temp one. i am trying to make it idiot proof cause u guys know how women can be with not looking at gauges haha:D

thanks for any input!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. tweakedlogic

tweakedlogic Active Member

City, State:
    memphis, tn
    '92 XLT
    The trouble with that is, when the motor is hot and you turn off the water pump, you will get isolated hot spots known as heat soak. Worst part about heat soak is it happens in the spots most likely to cause big problems. Like the cylinder head.

It's best to have a cooling system capable to handle your needs.

i never have to worry about my wife killing any of my vehicles because she refuses to drive a 5 speed and I refuse to buy an automatic.

4. snoranger

snoranger Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Jackson, NJ
    94 limited on 35's
    We use engine shutdowns on all of our forklifts. It will shut down the engine for:
    1) low oil pressure (yellow wire)
    2) high engine temp (blue wire)
    3) optional (trans temp, low oil level, etc) It all depends on what sensor you install and wire it up to. (green wire)

Search for Clark forklift P/N 1831955 (sometimes listed as CL1831955).

It doesnt come with sensors, you have to supply them (you can tap into existing switches). It works of idiot light sensors, when they ground it will sound an alarm for 30 seconds, then shut the engine down and blows the horn (or what ever you wire the orange wire up to). You can start it back up, if the sensor is still grounded, you have another 30 seconds.

Its a very easy system to install. 6 wires total. I've installed around 50+ of them. We've had about 2-3 go bad in the past 12 years.

A company called Kysor also makes a kit, found on some bigger trucks and equipment. That one is expensive. The Clark setup can usually be found for about $150 or so.