• Register Today It's free!

Owner's manual notes

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I was looking at the 2020 Explorer owner's manual to get an idea of what is in the SUV. The CD6 design looks a lot like the Mustang S550 from the engine compartment. In any case, the manual rated the 3.0 at 400 hp, 415 ft-lb with a max boost of 18 psi. Forged rods and crank, cast pistons.

Looks like it is using Ford Yellow anti-freeze (M97B57-A2) not to be confused with the old Gold anti-freeze.
It uses Mercon LV (1.1 qt) for the transfer case, so that is a good sign that it has an actual transfer case and not a PTU that wants to overheat.

But the fuel tank is 17.9 gal, which stinks because it impacts range of the vehicle. And the transmission doesn't have a dipstick. It sounded like they wanted you to take it into the dealer for any kind of work with the 10R80. The rear diff gets 75W-85 synthetic instead of the regular non-synth 80W-90 that Ford typically specifies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

17.9 for XLT and limited, 20.2 for platinum, ST and 3.3. 18 gallon for 3.3 Hybrid.

You are not scrolling up/down enough. The specs break down by engine. The 3.0 starts at page 390 for reference, the 2.3 on page 383 and the 3.3 is after the ST.

Trans shows 10r60, not 10r80 from what I have seen.

Fuel tank capacity is 17.9 gallons for Explorers equipped with the 2.3L engine, but Explorers equipped with 3.0L engine have a 20.2-gallon gas tank. (See page 394 of the Owner's Manual, Second Printing, June 2019.)

Another observation is that the bulbs for the rear turn signals, backup lights, and license-plate illumination are incandescent lamps. I was expecting LEDs everywhere. Wonder if the old-fashioned incandescents are there to save money, or if it's done to enable easy replacement if a bulb burns out.

Fuel tank capacity is 17.9 gallons for Explorers equipped with the 2.3L engine, but Explorers equipped with 3.0L engine have a 20.2-gallon gas tank. (See page 394 of the Owner's Manual, Second Printing, June 2019.)

Another observation is that the bulbs for the rear turn signals, backup lights, and license-plate illumination are incandescent lamps. I was expecting LEDs everywhere. Wonder if the old-fashioned incandescents are there to save money, or if it's done to enable easy replacement if a bulb burns out.

I will be replacing them with LEDs. No reason not to. I did it on my 11 and my F350.

The manual was confusing with the different engines so I will look at the gas tank size again.
I thought the 3.0 would get the 10R80.

The incandescent rear turn signals are to save money on the flasher modules most likely. Backup lights and license plate lamps are probably to avoid making Ford too much like a Lincoln perhaps??

I'm thinking of buying a ST when my leases are up, but that ugly iPad in the dash is a turn off along with the 275 45 tires. If they'd use thicker tires with 18 inch wheels on the perf pack it's be perfect for me driving over pothole ridden roads.

Screenshot_20190616-085521_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190616-085634_Chrome.jpg

You guys are right. It looks like the 3.3 HEV gets the 10R80 according to the manual. Is there really a 3.0 GTDI HEV?? I guess the 10R60 is a new trans? Hopefully they fix the oil seepage problem on the 2.7/3.0 and I sure don't want to beta test the 2020 Explorer.

...........................I'm thinking of buying a ST when my leases are up, but that ugly iPad in the dash is a turn off along with the 275 45 tires. ...........................
The 10.1" touchscreen is an option. The 8" one is standard. The 275/45R21 tires are also an option. The standard is 255/50R20.
I also prefer the 8" screen but unfortunately the Premium Technology Package is standard on the Platinum Explorer built for Canada.

Peter

Just got our ST yesterday and the incandescent license plate lights are a disappointment. Hadn't checked the reverse lights. Anyone have quality LED brand / part no they recommend for at least the license plate bulbs?

TY!

Just got our ST yesterday and the incandescent license plate lights are a disappointment. Hadn't checked the reverse lights. Anyone have quality LED brand / part no they recommend for at least the license plate bulbs?

TY!

2020 LED Upgrades - Links Added

I'd read through it. Some of us went the resistor route and then changed it out for the non resistor and reprogrammed the vehicle via forscan to prevent the fast flash.

The 10.1" touchscreen is an option. The 8" one is standard. The 275/45R21 tires are also an option. The standard is 255/50R20.
I also prefer the 8" screen but unfortunately the Premium Technology Package is standard on the Platinum Explorer built for Canada.

Peter

But I believe the 10.1 comes with a package that I wanted, and if I want the performance/high performance brake package, it comes with the 275 21" tires. Even the 8" display sticks out like an ugly iPad. I will wait for the 2021 because of all the problems with the 2020, but I am not going to hold my breath for Ford to fix the problems with the 10R60 transmission.

My ideal Explorer would be the XLT AWD with the twin-turbo 3.0, upgraded brakes, but base model wheels and tires.

But I believe the 10.1 comes with a package that I wanted, and if I want the performance/high performance brake package, it comes with the 275 21" tires. Even the 8" display sticks out like an ugly iPad. I will wait for the 2021 because of all the problems with the 2020, but I am not going to hold my breath for Ford to fix the problems with the 10R60 transmission.

My ideal Explorer would be the XLT AWD with the twin-turbo 3.0, upgraded brakes, but base model wheels and tires.
I ended up getting the Aviator. It has the 10.1" display mounted horizontally and while not really integrated into the dash, I don't have an issue with it.

Peter

Back