• Register Today It's free!

P1260 and P1000 codes on 98?

unioncreek

Reaction score
City, State
southeastern WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 4x4
I bought a 98 Explorer with a 4.0 SOHC engine on a surplus sale. I was owned by a county close to me. They said it didn't run and had been diagnosed with a bad fuel pump. When I picked it up I put a battery in it and did not hear the fuel pump come on. On the way home I stopped at O'Reillys to use their scanner, the only codes I got were the P1260 and P1000. I've been reading up on the P1260 code. Both of my keys are factory ones and not aftermarket.

Looking for advise on what I should look at first and test to get it running. Is there any other indicators that would tell me that the P1260 is the definite problem?

Thanks,
Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How's the battery voltage?

Edit: There's apparently rare issue where low battery voltage can cause the PCM\PATS to wipe the assigned keys.

I
How's the battery voltage?

Edit: There's apparently rare issue where low battery voltage can cause the PCM\PATS to wipe the assigned keys.
It didn't have a battery in it when i bought it. I have one that's good to put in it. If the keys were wiped is there a way to correct that?

Bob

I was just out and look at it again. The previous owner said the fuel pump was diagnosed as being bad, but didn't get any code associated with that. I put a battery in it and as soon as I turned the key I could hear the fuel pump come on. I tried to start it and it wanted to start. So, I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it fired right up and ran for a about 10 seconds. I didn't hear the pump start up again and I tried it about 10 times. Is the small green cap on the drivers side beside the radiator the port to test fuel pump pressure. I tried putting my gauge on it but the threads are wrong. I'm going to order a pump and hopefully that's all thats wrong with it.

Bob

Is the small green cap on the drivers side beside the radiator the port to test fuel pump pressure. I tried putting my gauge on it but the threads are wrong. I'm going to order a pump and hopefully that's all thats wrong with it.
That's the test port for the evaporative management system. Look for a Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

@unioncreek

Besides the two codes - P1260 and P1000 - regarding the seller's diagnosis of a bad fuel pump - start simple; when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

The 1/2 a beer can sized fuel filter is - in effect - the Explorer's Achilles Heal.

Because it's so big. if frequently never gets changed...

$8.63 for a Motorcraft Fuel Filter @ Rock Auto

You'll have to change it anyway if you replace the fuel pump - so why not start out with a 1/2 hour job for less than $10?

Link: 1998 FORD EXPLORER 5.0L V8 Fuel Filter | RockAuto

I don't know when/or if the filters been changed, I recently bought it. I will change it when Ichange the pump.

Bob

I don't know when/or if the filters been changed, I recently bought it. I will change it when Ichange the pump.

Bob
@unioncreek

Keep in mind that a whole host of fuel problems can crop up, none of which is the computer, PCM, able to detect, including a bad pump. imp

Back