Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

P1400 Error Code

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by section8joe, November 16, 2005.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. section8joe

section8joe New Member

City, State:
    youngstown ohio
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 xls
    I have that error code on my 02 explorer. I know that it's probably the dfpe sensor. Has anyone gotten that code and it wasn't that sensor?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. grumpy

grumpy Active Member

City, State:
    Palmyra Tn
    2002 XLT
    I believe that's the code I pulled up on mine a couple of weeks ago. It was the dfpe sensor. I didn't know what it was at first and I called a Ford dealership and asked what they would charge to replace it. They said I would have to leave the vehicle a couple of days and it would cost $258.40. I called another dealership and they said it would cost $189.88 to replace it. I asked what the sensor would cost and they said $50.98. I called the first dealer back and their price for the sensor was $30.07. I checked on the net to find out what the sensor looked like and the location. Then I bought the sensor and replaced it in less than one minute, disconnected the battery cable for a few minutes and was back in business.

Also, they said the sensor would be replaced free under an extended warranty of up to 60,000 miles but I had more than that on mine. If you have under 60,000 miles on yours, give the dealership your VIN number and they can look it up to see if you qualify for a free replacement.

4. section8joe

section8joe New Member

City, State:
    youngstown ohio
    2002 xls
    is it hard to change? Are there any tutorials online on how to fix it?

5. grumpy

grumpy Active Member

City, State:
    Palmyra Tn
    2002 XLT
    Look on the passenger side at the rear of the valve cover. There will be a little plastic thingy about the size of a matchbox or smaller sitting on top of two vertical rubber hoses and a wire connector plugged into the front of it. It's up above the valve cover near the firewall and the hoses, metal with approx 4 inches of rubber at the top comes up beside the motor. You disconnect the wire plug. pull the unit off the hoses, stick the new one on and plug the wires back in and that's it. This is on a 2002 V-6. The replacement was a little larger than the original and had different numbers on it.

I can take a photo of it tomorrow and get the numbers off it if you want.

6. Cdaddy78

Cdaddy78 Active Member

City, State:
    Canton, OH
    '02 XLT
    I think its fairly easy, If I remember correctly. Use the search and Im sure you'll find how, I remember seeing it not that long ago.

7. grumpy

grumpy Active Member

City, State:
    Palmyra Tn
    2002 XLT
    Here's a photo of it. The old part # was YF1E- 9J460-AA. The replacement is Ford part # 4U7Z-9J460-AA.

[​IMG]