Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

P2196 and P2198...what to check

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by ssilence, November 20, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Tags:
  1. ahamid

ahamid New Member

City, State:
    Doha
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2012 XLT
    Guys,

Did you also observe high fuel consumption with the malfunctioning Vapor Canister Purge Valve in service?

TIA.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. MSUman

MSUman New Member

City, State:
    Mississippi
    2013 Explorer XLT
    P1450, P2196, P2198 help needed!

Im needing some help.

Had check engine light scanned and got the listed codes. So I replaced MAF sensor and purge valve.

As soon as I turned the key on the service advance trac light and traction control off light came on. Once I start the car it makes a very pronounced clunk sound(while still in park). When I reved the engine it would shake the whole car.

I then put the old MAF and purge valve back in and those problems went away.

Any ideas?

It's in a 2013 Explorer with 3.5 xlt.

Last edited by a moderator: July 10, 2017
  4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
  5. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
    MI
    '11 Limited AWD
    Fingers crossed on this one. I cleaned my Vapor Canister Purge Valve with some Sea Foam spray and put dielectric grease on the contacts (habit now for anything I disconnect on this problematic vehicle). Simply sprayed some Sea Foam in each of the openings, let it soak for a bit then shook it out. Repeated twice and reassembled. No more SES light.

I am really hoping to get rid of this thing soon so I may not post a follow-up on this one.

6. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
    MI
    '11 Limited AWD
    Cleaning it seems to have worked... This really is an easy fix, thanks ssilence for the original DIY post.

7. Caygirl

Caygirl New Member

2012 Ford Explorer XLT
    Hi,
    I would like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for sharing their issue with their 2012 Explorer not starting after filling up. I too had this issue with my 2012 Explorer XLT for several months now, with same codes after engine light pops up.
    With the help of this forum, which I only came across last week I have now been able to resolve this issue by replacing the purge valve as indicated. Once replaced, I filled up on gas and no issue starting. I took my vehicle to a independent garage to have this completed, as the dealer previously had me replace numerous parts costing excessive amounts of money.
    My on Island Ford dealer with their supposedly ford trained mechanics is a big joke.

Thank you all for the information shared, greatly appreciated.

8. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Caygirl. :wave:
    That's what the Forum is for.:thumbsup:

Peter

9. robbrunner

robbrunner New Member

City, State:
    New Britain, CT
    2013 FordExplorer 3.5lEco
    • Like Like x 2
  10. leaderjoe

leaderjoe New Member

City, State:
    Dallas, TX
    2014 Explorer
    My base 2014 Explorer had check engine with both P2198 and P2196 codes showing. The car was not showing any physical problems - appeared to run normally.

Using advice in this thread, I changed the vapor canister purge valve on my own and it was very easy - (purchased part $40 (retail 49) at ford dealer.)

Also dealer said they had this in already in stock and sell a lot of them... hmmm.

All is working well so far with no codes. Thanks everyone! I did a blow check (using straw) and the valve was stuck open.

A few notes - wife ran car to empty just prior. Car is also overdue for oil change... So this matched another forum owner’s car. Will update if anything changes.

11. Project_Sparta

Project_Sparta Active Member

City, State:
    French Lick IN
    2013 PIU
    had A CEL come on today, pulled the codes:
    P0430 x2, not sure why it showed it twice
    P2196
    P2198

All seem to link to catalytic converters failure, fuel injector issue, or exhaust leak.

Does anyone else have any input on the matter?

12. KayGee

KayGee Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Farmington, MI
    '16 & '17 PIU
    Always address ancillary codes before a p0430 cat con code.

Check your freeze frame data for clues. Check for misfires, no spark. The codes indicate a rich condition, not necessarily caused by injectors. Could be a/f sensor.

13. Project_Sparta

Project_Sparta Active Member

City, State:
    French Lick IN
    2013 PIU
    The tool I have does not do freeze frame, I’ll just drive it easy until I can take it to the shop Monday.

14. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Your thread was moved to this one on the same issue.
    As for the P0430 code, a 'Search' feature brought these up;
    P0420 and P0430 Codes
    P0430 and FORSCAN

Peter

15. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    @blanchard7684 "This could be as easy as finding a vacuum line loose"

Please explain to this old dummy how a vacuum leak, which means EXCESS air, can be interpreted as EXCESS fuel? imp

16. Larry Jordan

Larry Jordan New Member

City, State:
    Waconia
    2013 Explorer XLT
    My wife’s 2013 Explorer XLT w/82K miles (3.5L V6) stalled at a fast-food drive-through and when restarted, set off an audible alarm together with the red “oil pressure” idiot light. Interestingly, the yellow “check engine” light did NOT appear.

I would have parked the car right then and there, and had it towed to the dealer. But, my wife drove it next door to a tire dealer (!) who apparently pulled the dipstick, saw that the oil level was normal, and told me wife that the car was “OK to drive.“ What a dope.

My wife drove the car 25 miles with the red “oil pressure” light illuminated. LUCKILY, apparently there really was adequate oil pressure. The dealer did more than two hours diagnostic work. They told me that the red “oil pressure” indicator light was “stuck” in the “on” position due to the following codes: P2196 and P2198. I find this very odd.

I’m not happy that the Ford dealer took two hours (at $160/hour) to locate the problem after reading the codes P2196 & P2198. That’s $320 just for the diagnosis. Then, an additional $178 in parts + labor to fix the issue. They tell me the car needs a new AU5Z9C915B Purge Valve Assembly (the OEM part that costs about $38 online).

They said that the Evaporation Purge Valve had become “restricted” and that it wasn’t obvious when they were doing diagnostics because in worked “intermittently.” In other words, it seemed to be doing its job until it didn’t do its job. There goes two hours labor at $160/hour.

I’m not a happy camper. My wife’s 2013 Explorer had a HOLE in the exhaust manifold that cost us $1000 to repair (ouch!) only 6 weeks ago. Now, this. Car is a pampered, garaged vehicle that we use on long highway trips. It is well-maintained. We use the Mobil-1 full-synthetic and the best WIX filters. There’s no excuse for these recent issues on an 82K mile 2013. What’s next?

17. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    @Larry Jordan

You might buy a Chevy and have still more headaches than you experience now. Note my last post above yours went unanswered. imp