Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

Discussion in 'Performance Lighting' started by MustangP51, March 1, 2008.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. cwol97401

cwol97401 Member

City, State:
    Duck Country Oregon
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Merc Mounty 5.0L
    Thread bump. Its been sevenish years since this build, how are these retrofits holding up?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. MustangP51

MustangP51 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Connecticut
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2009 Limited V8
    They have held up miraculously well. The projectors still produce a crisp cutoff, and the high beam shutters work, but the left now opens ever so slightly slower than the right. The housings have weathered but held up well over 110,000 miles and still leak free. Bulbs were replaced once, not due to failure but to change color from 5000k to 4300k (I'm pretty sure I covered that in this thread). The ballasts are definitely the weak link in an aftermarket HID kit. I have replaced the right ballast twice and the left once. I never once had an issue with the fog lights other than again replacing both ballasts.

This retrofit was the best modification done to my Explorer. I only hope the retrofit I did on my 4th gen holds up as well as this did!