Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

PA set up

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by coolchris, September 18, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 xlt
      hey guys, i am thinking of getting a cheap cobra cb off of ebay and mounting it in the armrest and using it as a PA. now what else will i need to get besides the cb and a PA speaker? will i need an amp to power the speaker or will it be fine just plugging right into the cb? and is there any special wiring that ill need to do?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      The PA speaker should just have 2 normal speaker wires. Extend these with some speaker cable (or any old power wire) and put the correct plug on the end. The hardest part is putting the plug on, I had an audio guy do it for me on his coffee break :) Then plug it into the CB and there ya go! I also have a radioshack amp on my PA speaker, I just wired it up inline. The speaker works when the amp is on or off, just louder with it on. That was like $15 extra.

If you're already getting the CB, go ahead and wire up a decent antenna. Might as well be able to use the radio if you have it.

4. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      i already have a good cb im in the process of installing, but it dosent have a pa option because its that cobra 75 wx one where everything is in teh handset. thanks for the info! ill run down to radio shack sometime and see what i can do... did you get the amp at radioshack by any chance?

5. Alec

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      you need some reading glasses

6. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      hahaha wow... nowonder i was thinking about radioshack amp's! ive gotta get more sleep

7. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      On my Cobra 29LTD Classic, there is simply a headphone jack for the PA. The speaker I used had a cord long enough to reach from the passenger side interior, to the drivers side grille.......

8. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      well... i did it. just got done setting everything up and it sounds great! i got the radio shack speaker and the guy said it should be loud enough without an amp and if it wasent i could just come back and get one. i put the speaker in the front if the front passengerside fender where there is a perfect ammount of room and the speaker is protected by the plastic wheel well thing. i hooked up all the wires and it sounds great! its perfectly loud without an amp. i got a cobra dx III for the cb, brand new for 40 bucks, and mounted it right where the spare change/ kleenex box goes. its perfect, all you see is the face and knobs of the cb.... its totally discreet. its a great feeling to set a goal for a project and get it all done yourself with no trouble :D

9. Alec

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      congrats! I run the same CB, just an older model.