Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

PA usage through CB

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by androofoo, July 24, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. androofoo

androofoo New Member

City, State:
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 XLT
    ive decided to buy a Cobra 19 Ultra III so i can hook it up to use the PA horn. the cobra 19 is cheap but it does the job. however im afraid the PA wont be as loud as i want it to be. and since power is coming from the cobra it wouldnt matter how expensive of a horn it wont get any louder right? anyone experience the pa horn coming from a small CB?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South FL
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    You can hear it. It's not police loud, but anyone that's near it will hear.

4. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    :cool:

Your asking something (the CB) to do something (PA System) that it wasn't really designed to do.

The CB Unit should work OK though, just don't buy too big of a speaker and buy one with the wattage rating of the PA output level.

If you want a PA System then buy a small PA Unit from Galls or AW Direct.

http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/finditem.cfm?itemid=19860

This one is what I am talking about but it is costly, too much in my opinion.

Both suppliers have higher priced units so there might be other sources on the Web.
    If you buy from these guys you should disable the siren just in case.

Luck,

Last edited: August 9, 2006
  5. JStrider

JStrider Active Member

City, State:
    North Houston, TX
    *RIP* 1993 XLT 4dr 4x4
    I have mine setup... its loud enough to be heard by anyone around you... I got the PA horn from radio shack... it was the smaller size that they had. works pretty good... I can control the volume by using the mic gain, but with the windows down it gets feedback if I turn it up too high.

6. pickupman

pickupman Active Member

City, State:
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    2002 XLT
    I wired one through a 80W wal-mart stereo amplifier once (drove a big horn).... worked for a while, till i blew the one channel i was using... apparently they don't need 4W in. though it might be OK....that was one vehicle and 4 radio installations ago....

7. use a brick

use a brick New Member

City, State:
    Harlingen, Texas
    '04 XLT
    I had a Cobra CB/PA hooked up to a Galls 100W speaker and I thought it was as good as it gets.. Then I installed my FedSig siren/PA and let me tell you.. It's amplified so much more.. There is a HUGE difference. I paid 80 for my CB and 120 for the siren.. If you're a guy for quality, pay 40 bucks more for a siren with PA function.

8. mikeh44

mikeh44 Active Member

City, State:
    Kansas City Kansas
    2004 XLT
    go to radio shack and buy a cheap matching transformer for a pa system to boost the output to the speaker

9. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South FL
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    I have a sho me siren setup as well, In the X & my Acura. PA is REALLY loud now.

10. BillyBob82

BillyBob82 Active Member

City, State:
    The sick trails of Boston, MA
    92 XLT 4x4
    I hate to be that guy who brings back old threads, but I did a search for amplified PA speakers and this is what I got.

Anywho, I'm using a small non amplified speaker right now which is probably loud enough as is, but I'm looking for somethnig with a little more power...maybe police issue? i've seen the SHO ME siren speakers, but I really don't want to put one on those in my truck because I know the siren would get me arrested eventually, lol. I found this : http://www.lashen.com/vendors/CSISpeco/Speakers/SpeakersHorn.asp which I think might fit the bill but I'm not sure if it will be loud enough to justify the expense. Anyone using an amplified PA, or can anyone reccomend a brand/model I should look at? Also, how bad is the drain on the battery? Will i have to keep turning it on and off?

11. BillyBob82

BillyBob82 Active Member

City, State:
    92 XLT 4x4
    i found some cheaper alternatives on ebay the other day with a siren & amped PA that I'm going to try. I'll post some picks when I get everything installed.

12. BillyBob82

BillyBob82 Active Member

City, State:
    92 XLT 4x4
    OK, i got the siren yesterday. It's cheaply made (you get what you pay for) but it does what it's supposed to. The horn has 6 siren sounds including a PA function. Wiring was a breeze, the only thing that was kind of a PITA was mounting it under the hood. Bottom line, it's louder than the PA function from my CB, but still not as loud as I would like. The siren function is hilarious, and with the blue and red strobes I picked up from ebay, I'm definately going to be arrested at some point, lol! I'll be posting pics as soon as I can. For the $40 I paid, I'm very happy with the results

13. red.EDDIE.4x4

red.EDDIE.4x4 Active Member

City, State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    '93 Eddie Bauer 4x4
    time to bring this thread up from the dead!
    ok so i got the cobra 19 CB/PA, the cheapie one at wally world. and i am actually going to use it as a CB and a PA, but my buddy has the same one on his little honda with a 30 watt radioshack horn on it. its not that loud but it gets attention. i like the idea of the amplified horn that billybob posted a link to. has anyone tired this? if not i guess ill be the first....when i get the dough that is

14. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    I got a cobra 29 with a power mic. I am running the radio shack 100 watt in the back and the 50 watt in the front of my explorer and all i can say is it is loud. If you turn the power mic up to loud it starts to screech but even at a low level it is good. Just get one of those splitters for 5 bucks to run 2 pa horns.

15. BillyBob82

BillyBob82 Active Member

City, State:
    92 XLT 4x4
    yeah i guess the link i posted no longer goes anywhere...oh well
    my pa actually sh*t the bed the other day, so as it happens, i'm back in the market for something new. I might try the twin speaker idea, but space in the engine bay is at a premium, so that might not work.
    i'll keep you all posted if I pick anything up in the coming weeks

16. 94fourdoor

94fourdoor Active Member

City, State:
    Bakersfield, California
    1994 XLT Four Door
    :popcorn: subscribing.:thumbsup:

17. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    As I said earlier that 2 pa's are loud but does anybody have any idea how to take full advantage of a 100 watt pa with a cb? I know the cb only puts out 4 watts but is there a way to get the cb to put out more watts on the pa output? I wondered if a peak and tune would help any.