1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

PA883 BL install issues....

Discussion in 'Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by blueka, June 14, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. blueka

blueka Elite Pickler Elite Explorer

City, State:
    UK
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    97 UK XL & 99 Sport V8
    I'm about to put the rear bumper on and the brackets are way off. I've read up on the bracket mod, have the plans etc.... but.....

this link says that you have to cut notches in the bumper to get it to fit, after you drilled holes all over the place and added some welds...

I was thinking about turning the kit brackets upside down, after removing the factory tow hook and seeing if I can make them work...

Would I need to flatten them out? or could I use the slightly bent brackets? the holes will need to be modified tho, as they're way off.

Si

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Can you post pics of the REAR brackets you are using? The rears I have used are all flat, and rectangle in shape with 4 bolt holes on angles. Looks like a pair of dice stacked on each other, each showing a "2".

4. Brandon96

Brandon96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Central Virginia
    '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
    The 883 brackets are kinda funky.. I heated mine and beat the snot out of them, but even with them flat, I still couldn't use them. The rear bumper will still need a notch in it if my measurements were correct.

If you can't get your rear bumper on right, I'll take a few pics of mine tomorrow during the day to show you how I did it. But I notched/welded on my frame, not sure if that's the direction you want to go in or not though :dunno:

5. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Wait up a second.....The bent brackets are for the 2nd gen front bumper! This is why I asked for a picture...lol

6. blueka

City, State:
    UK
    97 UK XL & 99 Sport V8
    I think the answer may have presented itself when I was taking pictures.

I am unable to weld to the frame as it's against the law in Saskatchewan to have stuff welded to the frame, it can only be bolted or riveted, so that's the route I've gotta take.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll check it again tomorrow when I'm less frustrated, and less tired, I'm still moving house and trying to get this done at the same time... it's driving me nuts as I don't feel much progress is being made on anything... thanks guys

Si

7. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Sorry Si, the brackets I have used look nothing like those :(

Flat brackets are a straight bolt on with no mods. Must have been a different kit number on the ones I used on the 94 & 95.

Edit: PA 853 is what was used on the 95. I found a picture of when it was installed. This pic shows the bumper bracket it came with that was used for the rear bumper. (attached on front frame horn for pic purpose). I used this same style bracket for the 94 as well on the rear. I do recall that the 853 came with a set of bent brackets now. But they looked like this one with a bend. We didnt use them. We made a set for the front using the template found on EF.

[​IMG]

Last edited: June 15, 2011
  8. blueka

City, State:
    UK
    97 UK XL & 99 Sport V8
    well, I got it done! the BL is finished!.. I've been awake all night.. finally got up at 5am, watched monster jam, then hit the shop at 6am.

I used a drill press and a BFH to get it done, the bumper's on, not totally straight, but it'll do...

Si

We Support Our Troops!