• Register Today It's free!

Pacesetter Headers

ttoredneck

Reaction score
City, State
PA/DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT/'97 XLT/'98 Sport
Am I the only idiot to buy these things? I'm asking because I'm having a problem.

The problem is the flange that connects the Y Pipe to the Catalytic Converter does not match up, at all. As in the holes don't line up and the center where the actually exhaust comes out doesn't match up. This is the 70-1172 kit for 95-97 Explorers/Rangers.

I call the company up asking them if I can get this fixed and the guy says that it's right the way it is. But I tell him it isn't and send pictures to him to prove it. I don't have photobucket or anything to post on here but anyone who's really curious I can email the pics. Still talking with him to work something out.

So, back to the purpose of this post: has anyone else bought these headers, run into this problem, and found a reasonable solution? Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What motor?

4.0 ohv

Exact same problem here. Pacesetter makes a note that "some modification may be required"r. On my '95 Exp this was the case, and I think they probably fit a '94 better. Mechanic installed the headers and modded the collector to make it work.

Another point with Pacesetter headers is that the gaskets are low quality. I had to have the passenger sized gasket replaced after 10k miles due to an exhaust leak.

If you can live with that, they do make good power.

That's another problem I'm having. I really don't feel any difference in power and I actually think my fuel mileage got worse. I got three trouble codes now since I installed these things too. So far, my experience with them is not good and I have vowed to never do business with them again.

Back