Paint chipping off leading edge of Aluminum hood panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint chipping off leading edge of Aluminum hood panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am experiencing the paint peeling off the edge of my Explore's aluminum hood. With only 49k miles the local dealer 's Ford service manager tells me that it is out of warranty. This apparently is a recurring issue with these aluminum hood panels.
Is there any extended warranty from Ford? what is this correct fix for this, repaint or replace hood ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends.
Post a pic.

If it is just the paint and the paint alone, it is not too terrible. You can get a quality refinish job for less than a grand if you do just the hood. IF is it just the paint. Aluminum panels are a different beast. If what you are experiencing is "galvanic corrosion " ( the aluminum version of rust ) then we are talking replacement.

I hate aluminum panels.

i am experiencing the paint peeling off the edge of my Explore's aluminum hood. With only 49k miles the local dealer 's Ford service manager tells me that it is out of warranty. This apparently is a recurring issue with these aluminum hood panels.
Is there any extended warranty from Ford? what is this correct fix for this, repaint or replace hood ?
Hood has to be replaced or it will just come back again. Its all aluminum so once it corrodes there is no fix.

Ford is replacing mine at 37000 miles

my dealer refuses to talk to me about mine. says its my problem. Calling another dealer next week, when I have time.

My dealer told me Ford considers this a milage related issue and wont cover it under corrosion warranty unless the paint is perferated which mine was in several places under the hood. I appealed to Ford corporate which is an online form which you cant even attach pictures. Ford is washing there hands of this issue. Might be my last Ford, although might make at exception on the GT500 coming out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back