Paint Issues - Non Hood | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint problems will happen with any make of vehicle. This does not appear to be a major problem for the Ex.

I myself have a small rust spot just under the chrome Explorer logo on the rear liftgate. Getting it repainted under warranty.

What I am real happy about is my dealer outsources the painting to a very good independent shop with a strong reputation.

My experience, and talking others, is that in-house body and paint work done at dealers is generally not up to snuff. You want someone who really specializes in painting and banks their entire reputation on it to do the job. Not car dealers.

Doesn't seem to be a major problem? Read through all the people having problems. Walk the dealer lots and take notice at the problems the 2015 are having. They knew about this is 2012. Ridiculous! And to not take care of people at 36,100 miles is even more ridiculous. Never again will I buy a Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it is a big deal for me.
Just ask any body shop if there work is similar to the factory paint.

The following is issues with that:
- With the time, car paint changes because if many factors. The body shop paint is going to change in different way than the factory paint. You will end up having two different colors.
- The quality of body shop paint is less than the quality of factory paint. For example it could chip-off easily comparing with the factory paint.
- It is hard to repaint the hood with the exact same color as the factory did on the whole car. If you look from different angles you will find this small difference on colors.
- Devices such as "color meter" that is used by dealer when you sell your car will tell that the hood is repainted. This will depreciate the car value because part of it has been repainted for some reason another.

Finally, a car that worth $35K should not have this problem.

This whole post is beyond just being incorrect. I've worked in a body shop for 5+ years and as long as you take it to a quality body shop and one Certified by Ford you will be fine.

Paint issue with 2015 Explorer sport

I just got a new 2015 Explorer Sport. Washed it for the first time today, now that the snow is gone. Found a blemish in the paint (for lack of a better explanation) I have attached pics. Any ideas how to fix or what caused it?

https://haugen696.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=bhXaEnXhRYBjhVtY7SfrmdMDJRrCTOn%2b4kz%2fMcraXI4%3d&docid=0516144f9f4cd4d7293e26c2ca15cad0c

https://haugen696.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=u8BeoZo9IyOyxjY4dD%2bpxwWaEmpjRA8Ias8j3FVXRmE%3d&docid=002499cfb0c3846baa5cc474dc7565673

Welcome to the Forum avenger532.:wavey:
My suggestion is to take it right back to the dealer ASAP. Don't attempt any DIY fix. This is fully covered under your warranty. I have also merged your thread with this existing one. Good luck.

Peter

Paint Bubbling above windshield!

I was washing my 2014 Explorer last night when I noticed small areas of paint bubbling up with rust stains bleeding through on the roof just above the wind shield. How can this be on a 1 year old vehicle. Grant it we had a tough winter with tons of salt spread on our roads, but give me a break. I shutter to think what my once beautiful SUV will look like after two years!:eek: I am going to have this repaired and then possibly have some sort of "chip guard film" installed across the entire area above the windshield.

Paint is under warranty for 3yr/36k, get Ford to pay for it.

I was washing my 2014 Explorer last night when I noticed small areas of paint bubbling up with rust stains bleeding through on the roof just above the wind shield. How can this be on a 1 year old vehicle. Grant it we had a tough winter with tons of salt spread on our roads, but give me a break. I shutter to think what my once beautiful SUV will look like after two years!:eek: I am going to have this repaired and then possibly have some sort of "chip guard film" installed across the entire area above the windshield.
Welcome to the 5th generation Forum.:salute:
In the 4.5 years I've been on here I believe your particular issue is the first one I've read. Could there have been stone chips in that area? In any case, as blwnsmoke posted, take it back and have the dealer repair it.

Peter

Have the same issue with my 2015. On the roof directly above the windshield and on the rear passenger side door. Paint bubbling. No road debris struck the vehicle. After about 3 weeks of back and forth with the dealer and numerous photos later the dealer stated that Ford will repair the defect. Explorer is only 6 months old and had 6,000 miles on it. Bringing it in next week for the work to be done and to pick up whatever loaner they have available for me. Good luck to you. It should not be a problem. Just hurry up and wait stuff with the dealer.

i have about 3 or 4 small dots of rust coming in right above windshield. had ford take pictures of it to see if its covered under warranty. it wasnt, i have a 2011 ex with 50k miles on it. they said the extended warranty will cover it only if it has a rust hole going through suv. about the time that happens, it will be out of the 5yrs mark.

Well just an update. After dropping the Explorer off at the dealer on June 16 I received a call yesterday stating that it is ready. Went down to reunite with my vehicle and the vehicle came back worse than when it went in! It went in with some minor paint pitting on the rear passenger door and roof line and now it has, at final count, 14 paint bubbles and multiple runs in the paint! And if that doesn't take the taco it has new damage in the form of scratches..... Not a happy camper right now and the dealer is sending it back to their contracted body shop:mad: Explorer is 6 months old and now getting a third application of paint. After owning all GM vehicles since 2000 I decided to give Ford another shot after I truly liked the new Explorer for it's value and reported quality. Never did I have a problem with service or warranty issues with GM. Meanwhile it took Ford almost 4 weeks to acknowledge the issue with the Explorer and then another 3 weeks to get it into the shop and then have it for 2 weeks only to try to return it in worse off condition. Apparently nothing has changed since my last new Ford, a 1998 Mustang. That had multiple warranty issues and quality was definitely not job number 1.

My 2015 Base white explorer has several paint bubbles, the biggest being on the roof, but a few in other spots. Probably 6-7 spots in total. The Ones on the roof almost look like a metal BB is under the paint or something they are that big....

My Build date is May 2015, so its not even 2 months out of the Factory.

Also on he inside of the hood area, on the drivers side fender there is a small brown spot on that almost looks like rust....

Im very happy with the Explorer, ive always wanted a 5th gen but all these little things im finding, has me worried I just put myself in debt for the next 6 years on something that is already having paint and rust issues not 2 months out of the factory.

...The Ones on the roof almost look like a metal BB is under the paint or something they are that big....

...My Build date is May 2015, so its not even 2 months out of the Factory...

...already having paint and rust issues not 2 months out of the factory.

Roof BBs prob are air bubbles from rushed paint job.

Its a shame that this is happening all along, & even more so on new builds.

Paint Issues

Hey Everyone!

First real post on here since I've joined. I recently bought out the lease on my father's Sterling Grey 2012 Explorer Limited, and I've been noticing some small paint issues.

I'm not sure if it is an issue with just my individual coats of paint and clear coat, an overall production issue, or if it's just me being nitpicky, but the amount of small rock chips and scuffs that appear are ridiculous. Every time I look at the vehicle, it seems to have new ones, and some of them have been pretty deep.

Now, I'm relatively new to this, and I know some manufacturers have softer paint coats than others, but does anyone else have this same issue? I'm already going to have to get the driver's door repainted eventually thanks to a deep rock chip that's down to the metal.

Thanks in advance for any input!

In the three months and 3,200 miles that my wife has driven our 2015 Sport I've been somewhat surprised about the number of small stone chips etc it's picked up especially on the leading edge of the hood. I would also describe the paint as soft.

You may want to consider how well the paint may match after a repaint of the door. I'm not an automotive painter or anything but gray/silver seem to be difficult colors to match.

Years ago I owned a Guards Red Porsche 944. Some one threw an egg at it while I was driving and damaged the paint on the hood in about the size of maybe a quarter or so. I couldn't live with that and had the hood repainted by a shop that assured me the paint would match. Well it didn't and I ended up trading a quarter sized area for a whole hood that didn't match well. Probably took $500 off it's value when I sold it. Just a consideration. Ths shop will almost certainly tell you they can match the paint. I'm willing to bet you'll be able to notice it. I'd try touch up paint first.

In the three months and 3,200 miles that my wife has driven our 2015 Sport I've been somewhat surprised about the number of small stone chips etc it's picked up especially on the leading edge of the hood. I would also describe the paint as soft.

You may want to consider how well the paint may match after a repaint of the door. I'm not an automotive painter or anything but gray/silver seem to be difficult colors to match.

Years ago I owned a Guards Red Porsche 944. Some one threw an egg at it while I was driving and damaged the paint on the hood in about the size of maybe a quarter or so. I couldn't live with that and had the hood repainted by a shop that assured me the paint would match. Well it didn't and I ended up trading a quarter sized area for a whole hood that didn't match well. Probably took $500 off it's value when I sold it. Just a consideration. Ths shop will almost certainly tell you they can match the paint. I'm willing to bet you'll be able to notice it. I'd try touch up paint first.
Thanks for the help!

I'll look into the touch up paint option. I've heard mixed reviews about doing it yourself, and the process of making it look as good as possible. I would hate to make a problem worse.

Cheers!

If you decide to use touch up on some of the nicks, I would try the langka paint chip repair that works with your oem touch up paint. It helps to smooth out the paint without damaging your clear coat.
http://www.langka.com

Paint Issue. 2016 XLT

Heads Up...

Notice paint chipping under tailgate... New Explorer

It appears the tailgate is hitting the "Frame Area" and chipping the paint..

I adjusted the Rubber Gromets on the door and it should correct the issue ..

Also need to fill the area to avoid further issues

Any photos? By what you have described, I'm not sure where to look (plus I have had the vehicle for about 36 hours).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it back to the dealer!

Back