Painting rusted rear window buttons | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting rusted rear window buttons

Killermike771

Reaction score
City, State
Glen Ellyn, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Limited
I saw Dirt's post on how to remove the rust stains on the rear glass and i did that but i am looking for suggestions on what grit to sand with and what kind of paint to use on the steel round buttons. Any help is appreciated. Pics coming soon...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you taking them out or doing it while they are still in the window... Eastwood makes a rust dissolver that I use for nuts and bolts that I have had good luck with... something like those it wouldn't take alot and as long as you put it in a sealed container you can strain out the chunks and re-use it awhile...

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rust-dissolver-qt.html

I am planning on leaving them in and just masking the area off. I was just unsure if i should sand them before painting and was wondering what to sand with.

You could do it with sand paper... but if your not going for like a tricked out show truck appearance (minus fine scratching on the screw heads) I'd mask it out with a few layer of tape and use a Dremel with a little wire wheel.

I laid on few layers of good tape on the glass, and sanded away. Glad the video helped! :thumbsup:

Back