Park brake adjuster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BruceLogan

Reaction score
City, State
Pialba , Queensland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
As my park brake was ineffective on my 1997 Explorer XLT, I attempted to adjust the shoes but found that the adjustment cog does not line up with the hole on the backing plate and I cannot get the adjusting tool to engage the cog. Could the adjuster have been installed back to front the last time it was assembled? Would this be the reason it does not line up with the access hole in the backing plate?

I did achieve some limited holding power by removing the disk and adjusting the shoes until I could just replace the drum/disk with a little resistance but would like to get it working to full capacity. The shoes still have approx 1/2 life left.
Been reading a lot in the last couple days, fantastic information :) Forewarned is forearmed :)

Bruce

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's likely installed backwards, or even that it's adjuster is for the other side, but most likely just installed backwards. It's a PITA to remove it to switch it around, but doable.

It's likely installed backwards, or even that it's adjuster is for the other side, but most likely just installed backwards. It's a PITA to remove it to switch it around, but doable.

Thanks Koda, the only way it could be for the other side is if they did both at the same time which would be unusual, normally you do one at a time, though, having said that, the fact that they obviously was not able to adjust them after fitting the new shoes and just left them like that, would indicate to me that they did not know too much about what they were doing (or else did not care).

I didn't necessarily mean they switched the sides. I was thinking maybe they had to replace one because it was seized and bought/was given the wrong one. It's more likely they just reinstalled it backwards. IIRC the star wheels should turn upward (from the adjustment hole) to open the adjusters. If I'm mistaken then they turn downward, but the left and right sides move in the same direction.

Edit:
As I think about it, I think I had it backwards - star wheel down to tighten, up to loosen.

I didn't necessarily mean they switched the sides. I was thinking maybe they had to replace one because it was seized and bought/was given the wrong one. It's more likely they just reinstalled it backwards. IIRC the star wheels should turn upward (from the adjustment hole) to open the adjusters. If I'm mistaken then they turn downward, but the left and right sides move in the same direction.

Oh ok, the fact that both wheels are set up the same I suspect that they were simply put in backwards. Thanks for the info, will pull them out maybe on the weekend and turn them around and see what happens. Not an urgent job as all flat country here so no hills to park on :).

Oh ok, the fact that both wheels are set up the same I suspect that they were simply put in backwards. Thanks for the info, will pull them out maybe on the weekend and turn them around and see what happens. Not an urgent job as all flat country here so no hills to park on :).

Hey BruceLogan , make sure you start early and don't drink !! that will make it impossible to do this job , it looks very simple but damn who ever came up with that stupid setup should be slap !! I mean it such a PITA !! specially with the 2 springs ! I left one out cuz it started to rain (my Luck) and I didn't do the other side , I was frustrated and gave up ! but Good Luck :)

For what it's worth, I have learned that the best tool to use on a spring is another old spring with a vice-grip. Yes, dealing with replacing the parking brake shoes is a major PITA. I did it once and if I ever have to do it again I'll remove the axles first!

For what it's worth, I have learned that the best tool to use on a spring is another old spring with a vice-grip. Yes, dealing with replacing the parking brake shoes is a major PITA. I did it once and if I ever have to do it again I'll remove the axles first!

Hmm I have never try that , good tip , I have done it on my 97 and 99 , I think I cry a little :)

Yea thanks everyone, I only have to reverse the star wheels so I think I should be able to do that without too much trouble(fingers X :) ).
In the Haynes book they do not mention removing the axles first but I noted in the pictures that the axles had been removed, I assumed this was for the benefit of pictorial demonstration.

Back