• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake cable diagram

bizzs

Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonia Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Any of you kind gents or ladies have the diagram for the parking brake cables, and instructions for replacement?

Thanks
bizzs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the easiest way to do it is one at a time, just look at the other side, it is a mirror image.

My 2002 mountaineer had no emergency brake and failed inspection. Tried swapping shoes but impossible with the axle in the way. Then I realized the cables were frozen and going to each tire.easy to replace as the just hook in and the one going to passengers side had to leave the old one in place as I couldn't get it out so just ran the knew ones next to it. Then I realized the second cable was stretched so replaced that one. And all is good now. Pretty easy to do as the go next to the frame on drivers side.
Will do the emergency brake shoes whenever I do wheel bearings.

good to hear thanks for the update

Thanks for the replies. I know how to put the parking brakes on but I am looking for a service diagram of the parking cable layouts. I replaced all of them a few years back and this is my 3rd cable that broke since I have owned the truck. I want to review they layout of the CABLES not the rear brake shoes. Thanks in advance, Bizzs

There is only 4 cables first from the cab where it connects to the emergency brake lever. It goes under the truck near the frame rail to right under the drivers drivers seat. Another connector to just before the rear axle where it splits for the final time to each wheel.

Really isn't a need for a diagram...

Anyone have experience removing the existing passenger side cable? It looks to me like I need to drop the muffler and heat shield. It's bolted up to something up there but I can't figure out what. And the new one of course has bolt on hangers but it's impossible to see where they're supposed to mount.

When I replaced all of mine. I left that one on place and just cut it where i could and route the new one where it can fit. Mine wasn't close to the existing spot. I still see the old one when I look under there.

Hope that helps.

When I replaced all of mine. I left that one on place and just cut it where i could and route the new one where it can fit. Mine wasn't close to the existing spot. I still see the old one when I look under there.

Hope that helps.
I understand, but I don't really like that solution. Knowing that spare parts were flopping around under my car would drive me nuts. It's like cleaning your room my stuffing all your toys into the closet. Out of sight of of mind. Not for me. Unless this is a case of needing to drop a cross member to access bolts from the top... Which I sort of think it is. There must be a more comprehensive solution that involves fully removing the old and replacing it correctly. How do the Ford techs do it?

I don't know... Good luck but nothing is flopping around underneath.

I don't know... Good luck but nothing is flopping around underneath.
I understand, it'd just bother me to know that it was up there. Call me crazy.

I attempted to install parking brake cables 3 years ago on my 00 explorer and I ran into a snag and decided to pit it off. Now I want to attempt to repair this. Anyone have actual photos (not diagrams!) of a fully intact cable assembly along the driver's side rail? I'd appreciate it very much!

I understand, it'd just bother me to know that it was up there. Call me crazy.

How or why would that ever bother you?I haven't thought about mine in well since my last post. I did cut it off very close to where it disappears above the frame and shields.
.getting ready to replace all my cables in my 02 mustang and wasn't in a hurry since I got my inspection sticker and they didn't care to check it... But need it working before the winter.
With my mountaineer, I'm not even sure it still works lol...never use it...

Just replace them and good luck with removing the old cable..

Plus mine is a 2002 so not sure its the same? Oh the most important is the nail you put in the parking brake lever in the cab to release all the tension.

I recently replaced my rear two cables on my 02. Since they were seized I cut them from the wheel brackets with a cut off wheel. On the passenger side I used the old cable as a fish to pull in the new cable. Tape the center clamp to the proper position on the cable prior to this so it ends up in the correct area over the muffler. The original center clamp was a pain to remove so I attached the new one to a large hole ( in same area) in the cross frame member using a small bolt and nut with large washers. I pulled the front cable out of the tube under the vehicle and clamped it with a small pair of vice grips to allow for slack in hooking in the rear cables. Take care when installing the rear of the cables to the lever making sure the boot and spring are in correct position. Looking at the originals prior to removing would help here.
On another note, I found the small shoes considerably easier to install if I hooked them together with the upper spring and then pulled them down and over the hub. I found that trying to install the spring after the shoes were in position just too difficult even with the wheel studs positioned properly.

When I replaced my cables. I also attempted with replacing the emergency brake shoes but gave up because they were too much of a pain to replace. I couldn't get the new ones on the springs. But I never use the parking brake anyway.

Unless you regularly park on inclines, forget about the parking brake.
At least for me, I'm letting my Mountaineer age gracefully.
Silicone stopped leaks in both the front and rear windows!
Doesn't look too good, but it works.

I have 265000 miles and still running strong

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I started this thread many years ago and the main cable just broke on my explorer just in time for state inspection. I practically had to rip apart the dash and remove the fuse box to replace this front cable. It was a 2 day job and very time consuming. Reassembling those parking brakes is another story. I could not get those springs inside of the brake shoes correctly. I had done this job many of times throughout the years and it was always a fight. I decided to watch a video on youtube and what an education I received. . I have been turning a wrench since I was a teenager and replacing these brakes were always a pain. This mans method worked for me and I had those horseshoe brakes remounted within minutes. The key is to assemble the brakes to the backing plate and leave enough room to attach the upper spring. Insert a pry bar between the top of the shoe and stem. Pry back the shoe enough space to stretch the spring over the cable bracket. It worked like a charm. I hope this information can help someone else out.

Back