Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Parking brake cable replacement problem

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by hang3xc, July 22, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. hang3xc

hang3xc New Member

City, State:
      Boston area / Lynn MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 XLT
      Hi
      Both parking brake cable on my 98 Explorer were frozen. I replaced the drivers cable in a couple minutes. Real simple job. However, on the passenger side cable I have had 2 cables brake while trying to install it.

The cable itself did not break, but rather the 3 little "tangs" that stick up & hold the cable end in the hole on the mounting bracket at the wheel end.

On the drivers side I simply squeezed the tangs in so they would go through the hole on the mounting bracket, the I bent them back out a little bit afterward.

On the passenger side, I tried the same thing because it worked so well and was so easy, but instead of bending in a bit, the tangs just snapped right off!

So I took the cable back, got another one, and this time I just tried to push the cable end through the hole in the mounting bracket. The tangs snapped off so easily I couldn't believe it.

They didn't have any more in stock, so I had to wait till this morning to get ANOTHER cable (#3 on this side)

I DON'T want to break this one, but how else can I do it ??? The cable end HAS to go through the hole and the tangs HAVE to be there to hold it IN the hole.

Can anyone advise me on a way to do this without breaking the tangs off?

Thanks for any help. Maybe I'm doing it totally wrong, but it seems like the only way AND it worked perfectly on the drivers side with the other cable

Ron

PS I made a picture of it but don't know how to post it. The image icon asks for an url not a location on my pc

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. hang3xc

hang3xc New Member

City, State:
      Boston area / Lynn MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 XLT
      Well, to answer my own question, in case anyone in the future has this problem, I ended up removing the clip, slowly spreading it open little by little then working it off. I carefully slid it back on after sliding it through the bracket. Definitely shouldn't have to do it like that, but after having the tangs break right off 2 cables in a row I had to try something different