Parking Brake Seized & Won't Engage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking Brake Seized & Won't Engage

eddie95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
I have finally gotten around to putting all new brakes on my Explorer. I just got done with the front without much issue except for a few rusted bolts and the fact I unexpectedly needed a new hub/bearing assembly (easy fix).

However, now it is time to deal with another problem that I have had since I bought the vehicle, and that is the parking brake or emergency brake. The pedal can be depressed about two clicks with great resistance and there is no braking force applied. Judging by the condition of my front brakes, I'm sure there is quite a bit of rust inside the rear parking brake assemblies. Does anybody have any advice on how I would go about freeing all of this up?

Thanks

I have finally gotten around to putting all new brakes on my Explorer. I just got done with the front without much issue except for a few rusted bolts and the fact I unexpectedly needed a new hub/bearing assembly (easy fix).

However, now it is time to deal with another problem that I have had since I bought the vehicle, and that is the parking brake or emergency brake. The pedal can be depressed about two clicks with great resistance and there is no braking force applied. Judging by the condition of my front brakes, I'm sure there is quite a bit of rust inside the rear parking brake assemblies. Does anybody have any advice on how I would go about freeing all of this up?

Thanks
I went through this last year on my 96. The linkage where the cables connect to the brake shoes was frozen with rust. I removed the axles, had a leaking wheel seal anyway, removed the rusted mechanism (two pieces each side) and was able to free them up. Wire brush the rust off if you can get them apart, and grease the pivot point. I was able to salvage mine. I have read where some have to be replaced. If people would use their park brakes more, these parts would not rust together. The park brakes on these vehicles are not very effective in the first place. The other thing to look for is rusted, corroded cables. I also spray the spring mechanism under the dash every so often, as it has a tendency to hang up and not operate smoothly. Hopefully this will get you started in the right direction. This is ONLY what I have experienced. I am sure there are many more opinions.

Thanks for the advice! My cables look to be in strangely good condition, so I'm thinking that they were replaced at one time. I'm hoping that I just have to lube up the assembly and work it back and forth. Your absolutely right about them freezing from not being used, the cornfields near where I live dont really call for using the parking brake :). However, I want to put a hitch on so that I can maybe use it for a boat at some point. The boat ramp is a lot easier with a parking brake.

eddie95, good luck on lubing the linkage. Mine was rusted tighter than Dicks hatband. I had to disassemble mine to free them up. Used big hammer and vise grips. Truck is from Omaha, Ne. so I know what you mean about flat ground.

Back