Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Passenger side electrical issue. I need help.

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by wafonso, March 22, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. wafonso

wafonso New Member

City, State:
    Jackson, WY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    91 Explorer 4dr 4x4
    So I am having some trouble with only the right side of my 91 eddie bauer. The problem is with the windows on both from and rear passenger and the automatic lock on the passenger side. All the switches are good. All the motors and actuators are good and the controls all work from the driver master control. On the front passenger the window control will only work to make the window go up and the lock switch will only work to lock. I have tested all the switches and if I reverse them then the window control will only work to go down and the lock switch will only lock. I have a fluke t5 1000 that I have used to check continuity. I haven't discovered anything weird while looking at my Haynes manual wiring diagrams. Has anyone had a similar electrical problem they have solved and remember the color of the wire at fault? I imagine there has to be a short or broken wire somewhere but I can't trace it with the meter. Any advice before I go tearing into the wiring harness?

Cheers

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. trashtruck

trashtruck Active Member

City, State:
    capital district, ny
    1992 explorer xlt 4x4
    I have a similar problem where all 4 windows will operate from the drivers master switch but not from the individual door switch. I have discovered the problem to be inside each switch. when I took one of the switches apart, there are contacts ( much like a set of points ) that get worn or bent. solution is to re-position ( re-bend ) the contact or replace the switch.

4. Wolfie_85

Wolfie_85 Active Member

City, State:
    Iowa
    1994 Ford Explorer XLT
    New switches, I agree. Super easy to come by at salvage yards. Ford used those switches on a lot of vehicles. :)

5. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

1991 & 1994 Explorers
    Switches are plentiful and even cheap when buying brand new from Rock Auto. I still need to get some for my 1994, they just plain wear out.

6. wafonso

wafonso New Member

City, State:
    Jackson, WY
    91 Explorer 4dr 4x4
    Switches are good. I tested them with a meter and replaced them and the problem persisted. Other ideas?

7. 2stroke

2stroke Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Annandale, MN
    1993 Ford Explorer Sport
    I don't have a print in front of me, but I'm betting the switches use a common power wire. Find that wire on your print, and check for voltage at the first switch.

8. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

1991 & 1994 Explorers
    Since my scanner was fired up and I'm fully caffinated, I figured I'd scan up the pertinent pages of the EVTM for you:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/EVTM/150-8.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/EVTM/150-16.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/EVTM/150-17.jpg

The middle one you can ignore, it's for the sport (2-door) model. Hopefully they offer more insight than the Haynes book. As 2stroke said, you'll have to check for powers & grounds now.

9. wafonso

wafonso New Member

City, State:
    Jackson, WY
    91 Explorer 4dr 4x4
    Appreciate it thanks bud.