Passenger side electrical issue. I need help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger side electrical issue. I need help.

wafonso

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer 4dr 4x4
So I am having some trouble with only the right side of my 91 eddie bauer. The problem is with the windows on both from and rear passenger and the automatic lock on the passenger side. All the switches are good. All the motors and actuators are good and the controls all work from the driver master control. On the front passenger the window control will only work to make the window go up and the lock switch will only work to lock. I have tested all the switches and if I reverse them then the window control will only work to go down and the lock switch will only lock. I have a fluke t5 1000 that I have used to check continuity. I haven't discovered anything weird while looking at my Haynes manual wiring diagrams. Has anyone had a similar electrical problem they have solved and remember the color of the wire at fault? I imagine there has to be a short or broken wire somewhere but I can't trace it with the meter. Any advice before I go tearing into the wiring harness?

Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a similar problem where all 4 windows will operate from the drivers master switch but not from the individual door switch. I have discovered the problem to be inside each switch. when I took one of the switches apart, there are contacts ( much like a set of points ) that get worn or bent. solution is to re-position ( re-bend ) the contact or replace the switch.

New switches, I agree. Super easy to come by at salvage yards. Ford used those switches on a lot of vehicles. :)

Switches are plentiful and even cheap when buying brand new from Rock Auto. I still need to get some for my 1994, they just plain wear out.

Switches are good. I tested them with a meter and replaced them and the problem persisted. Other ideas?

I don't have a print in front of me, but I'm betting the switches use a common power wire. Find that wire on your print, and check for voltage at the first switch.

Since my scanner was fired up and I'm fully caffinated, I figured I'd scan up the pertinent pages of the EVTM for you:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/EVTM/150-8.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/EVTM/150-16.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/EVTM/150-17.jpg

The middle one you can ignore, it's for the sport (2-door) model. Hopefully they offer more insight than the Haynes book. As 2stroke said, you'll have to check for powers & grounds now.

Appreciate it thanks bud.

Back