Patch's 5-Speed to auto swap

Asilly50NJ

"Patch"
Reaction score
City, State
Hillsdale NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Solid axel Sport
Ok, so the reason I dident make it to Paragon was 2 weeks ago when I was out in PA with Tara, my clutch **** out on me on the way home. Since I had a spare 94 4-door XLT, I decided to cut it up and swap Patch over to a automatic tranny. Here are some picts of the projuct so far. I cant wait till its done. I think the truck will perform far better in the woods. :D
(P.S, ill have picts up soon as Tara resizes them for me, since this sight sucks soo f*uck*ing bad and wond let you load ****! :frustrate )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the doner truck..........

Attachments

• junk home 2 fixed.jpg
    junk home 2 fixed.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 181

Are you sure switching from manual to auto was a good decision?

I understand thats what you have. But why not do the 700R4 swap. You may be solving the clutch problem. But creating all new ones. (no hard feeling either)

its a good idea. first off i dont want any GM **** on my truck, and i know guys that run 10's in 4cyl turbo mustangs with A4LD's and can handle about 700hp. And my tranny is getting built by the same guys that build their trannys, so im not worried at all.

i had fun stripping the 4 door, hope we don't really run in to any major issues with the swap

yah, Justin it was fun,..........but with Patch we need to be alittle bit more carefull ;) ...........after the tranny, we can work on the Turbo kit :D

Yes my sweetie, wen Patch is done you can take it home to PA and run sum amish buggys off the road wit it :D

where are you getting your tranny built, and for how much?

Mighty nice lookin donor

im acually doing the tranny my self,............my friend suplied me with all the upgraded internal drums, and clutchpacks, and hardened shafts

Asilly50NJ said:
its a good idea. first off i dont want any GM **** on my truck, and i know guys that run 10's in 4cyl turbo mustangs with A4LD's and can handle about 700hp. And my tranny is getting built by the same guys that build their trannys, so im not worried at all.

Just wondering about this, if they can build them to with stand 700hp, then why can't they get them to handle 160Hp in a 2 ton truck that can barely get to 60 with in 12 seconds.

****, if yah build anything up with aftermarket parts, you improve the factory faults................yah these trannys sux from the cactory, but if you upgrade to hardened imput and out out shafts, larger internal drums to hold more clutch disks, up grade to a larger pump to pump more fluid,.............things are made stronger.

I thought that that was what the problem was though, no aftermarket support?

Yah I know alot of the goons on this board rant and rave about the GM tranny, but no way in hell will there ever be a GM part in my car or truck. To me thats like interracial marrige of Ford and GM parts...........you just dont do that!!!! I would rather improve on fords parts and fix there problems then be unfaithfull to my ford. I have a lot of training with ford and other automotive schools to understand this. I know otheres on theis board dont have alot of automotive training and background so i would expect them to take the easy way out and buy Gm tranny and adapt it to a ford,...............**** thats not me,.Sorry

i understand the Ford and GM interracial part, i really hate it when these guys restore a really nice old Ford street rod and then drop in a chevy 350 wtf? you go through all the money and time of restoring the body and chopping the top and then drop in a different company's drivetrain?

but what i don't understand is swapping out the 5-speed for an auto (offroad purposes?), i guess if it were me i'd be pulling out my auto to put in a 5-speed :D cause i love a 5-speed, but i'm sure you have a perfectly good reason and if you say it can be built tough with aftermarket parts go for it, and if its a success let us know so i can maybe rebuild mine if it goes out on me *crosses fingers* God Forbid :D

i've actually got my eye on a couple of explorers that are 5-speed equipped

EEKK ...GM in a Ford :thumbdwn: ..*faint*.....................*wakes back up...Remembers.....EEK...I would never want none of that crap in my truck... :nono: or in patch for that matter...he would be contaminated then...and then that contamination would spread and make him do this---> :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well since i did the soild axel, i just hate rock krwaling and sliping the clutch, and beating on the drive shafts, and drive line..........and it will be alot more easy on the drive line with the auto,........

Back