Pcv valve hose? or something else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pcv valve hose? or something else?

Casaul AWD

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT AWD
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help. Okay, so heres the thing. One day when i started up my 97 Explorer XLT 5.0 it shot a bit of blue smoke up fromt he hood and starting running really rough, with a really low idle <500. Well i popped the hood, heard the whistle and tracked it down. Low and behold when i plugged it with my thumb the engine jumped back up and was happy as can be. Til i drove off down the road and got a faint whistle while driving. Heres where the hose came off, i truly dont know where it goes, seeing as it didnt match up with the other posts ive seen here and at other sites. I hope someone can give me a clue of what it is, and where it goes.

Here is a couple of views and a pan out so u can see that its the 5.0v8

HPIM1213.jpg

I currently have it capped off since im awaiting a better answer then give me 200 bucks and 30 bucks for parts and i swear we will fix it (local dealership isnt very nice). Thank you for your help and time!
HPIM1212.jpg

HPIM1208.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it the same as the 99 302 layout? i cant quite tell. perhaps after some sleep i will have a bit more luck.

Well, I can't help you. I just went out and looked at my 99 and it only has one hose going there...the one going back towards the PCV valve. I also only have one line running along side the manifold in those clips. So they changed something since yours. Do you have a vacuum line diagram on the radiator support? You might...ahem...cough cough...need to give that thing...cough...a bath to see it though...cough... :D

here lies the problem...belt/vacuum diagrams says for 4.0....hence why i have not cleaned it...im mad at it. lol

Okay, got the pcv valve changed. Had to fix my computer too since it broke as well. I was wondering if anyone could post a pic so i can see where that hose goes or has a idea of were to look for it. the diagram shows the valve as being at the front of the vehicle so thats no help to me.

here is a 98 intake upside down and EGR plumbed:
intake1.jpg

Here is a 99 engine ready to accept 98 intake:
intakeready.jpg

see the two PCV hoses? one pointing forward and one U turning back..

see the PCV valve has two hoses, it T's off and enters the GT-40 intake in two spots

of course it was likely only done this way to plug an extra hole when they shoved this engine into our trucks, but hey it works!

it appears to me your rear PCV hose is missing?? or the previous owner removed the T part and you have one hose?

Regardless if it was just capped and the cap fell off, put a new cap on it, this time with a clamp!

Had the same exact problem with my 96 5.0 more than a year ago. After checking around, I concluded that pipe was capped off and old cap was blown off. Put a new cap on it and the car has run fine ever since.

thank you, its just that under load while driving i hear this stupid whistling, so im just confused. thanks for those pics and the tips guys.

Make sure the cap is not leaking. you may have another vacuum leak

Back