• Register Today It's free!

PCV valve

Arne52101

Reaction score
City, State
Decorah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Eddie bauer 06 4.0l
Can anyone tell me whats is involved with replacing pcv valve.
2006 Explorer EB 4.0l with 175000. miles on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, and it was a pain in the tail to replace. The PCV valve is located on the backside of the valve cover (driver's side) with barely any room to get your hand in there to replace it. The hose portion of the PCV is a special Ford-only part I believe that connects on top of the intake. This write up here is pretty good and explains the process of removing: How to change your 2005 V6's PCV Valve

Just like the other guy did in that link, It is almost impossible to see the hose clamp without using a small mirror to see the backside of the valve cover; then you can easily see it. You'll need some type of small pliers in order to get the hose clamp off the PCV valve. Then, it is just a counter-clockwise turn to remove it from the cover.

I unfortunately could never get a wrench in that tight of a spot in order to release the hose clamp that is connected to the PCV valve (which keeps the lower end of the hose from coming off the valve). I eventually got fed up with it and took it to my local mechanic to replace the valve. I was stupid and did not replace the hose part that came with it and later tried to find it and was shocked that the dealer wanted over $100 for the short piece of hose. Luckily, i was able to find a used one on eBay for like $20. The reason I replaced the hose is that when my mechanic took the hose and PCV valve off, they accidentally lost the yellow o-ring that was inside the hose that makes it seal well. I didn't realize it until I started hearing a hissing sound coming from the top of the engine and finally narrowed it down.

Anyways, after I got the replacement hose, I again couldn't get the damn hose clamp off the PCV valve but was able to just pull the hose itself out of the PCV (there are two pieces to the hose, that is covered in a piece of foam insulation) and replace that part with the one I found on eBay. All in all, I think it is a really awful design for a serviceable part but I figure that Ford designed it that way on purpose so that you would have to take it to them to replace it and that someone could not easily disable the PCV system.

Thank you JAWIT.
Have not gotten to yet, hopefully soon. This link will be helpful.

Yes, and it was a pain in the tail to replace. The PCV valve is located on the backside of the valve cover (driver's side) with barely any room to get your hand in there to replace it. The hose portion of the PCV is a special Ford-only part I believe that connects on top of the intake. This write up here is pretty good and explains the process of removing: How to change your 2005 V6's PCV Valve

Just like the other guy did in that link, It is almost impossible to see the hose clamp without using a small mirror to see the backside of the valve cover; then you can easily see it. You'll need some type of small pliers in order to get the hose clamp off the PCV valve. Then, it is just a counter-clockwise turn to remove it from the cover.

I unfortunately could never get a wrench in that tight of a spot in order to release the hose clamp that is connected to the PCV valve (which keeps the lower end of the hose from coming off the valve). I eventually got fed up with it and took it to my local mechanic to replace the valve. I was stupid and did not replace the hose part that came with it and later tried to find it and was shocked that the dealer wanted over $100 for the short piece of hose. Luckily, i was able to find a used one on eBay for like $20. The reason I replaced the hose is that when my mechanic took the hose and PCV valve off, they accidentally lost the yellow o-ring that was inside the hose that makes it seal well. I didn't realize it until I started hearing a hissing sound coming from the top of the engine and finally narrowed it down.

Anyways, after I got the replacement hose, I again couldn't get the damn hose clamp off the PCV valve but was able to just pull the hose itself out of the PCV (there are two pieces to the hose, that is covered in a piece of foam insulation) and replace that part with the one I found on eBay. All in all, I think it is a really awful design for a serviceable part but I figure that Ford designed it that way on purpose so that you would have to take it to them to replace it and that someone could not easily disable the PCV system.
Quick question. Where did you get the replacement hose? I think my mechanic also lost the o ring thats why mine has a hissing sound also.

I found the hose on ebay. Someone was selling a used one at the time and it still had its o-ring. I don’t know the o-ring size, but it’s possible you could find one that would fit the hose.

I dont see someone selling it now. Can you help confirm if the gasket goes inside this?
365385974_334451868912079_8225807722124917284_n.jpg

I dont see someone selling it now. Can you help confirm if the gasket goes inside this? View attachment 444782
I think there’s a yellow o-ring that should be in there that seals it. I tried to take the hose off this evening to take a look, but I couldn’t get it all the way off the pcv hose due to limited space. I think it is the same type of connection as the one near the air filter box and you can see the gasket in that one. They may be identical o-ring sizes, though I am not 100% sure. Look at pics below.

IMG_7489.jpeg

IMG_7488.jpeg

Thanks really for your help. I think the o ring sits more on the inside of the tube.

Great help.

Yeah it may. I’ll see if I can get the hose off tomorrow eve and take a pic

So I pulled the pcv hose off the intake tonight and it has the o-ring in the same position as the previous picture I posted. It’s below the clip.

IMG_7493.jpeg

IMG_7492.jpeg

Wow. Thanks for all your help.

At first I thought it was residue from some gasket maker the mechanic may have applied, but there didn’t look to be enough to really seal anything so I’m not sure to be honest. Though I don’t know which sealant would be orange colored like that.

Back