1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

PDA suggestions

Discussion in 'Exploring Computers!!' started by ErickSaint, March 27, 2007.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. ErickSaint

ErickSaint Active Member

City, State:
    Milwaukee, WI
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '94 XLT
    I'm looking into picking up a new PDA. The last one I bought was a Palm IIIxe new it ran me $350, so that says how long ago that is. Uses will be contact management, scheduling, as well as the need to alter and view text or word documents. Not sure of the abilities of newer PDA's but it would be nice to have a feature to print via usb. This will most likely be used together with a laptop but not sure at this time. Also may be giving in and buying a crackberry type device in the next year or so as well. But for now it's just the need for something better and more with the times than my current device, which has been temporarily misplaced. I packed it away somewhere when I got sick of changing batteries once a week on it.

Not really sure of my choices when I bought the Palm it was the pinnacle of handheld tech. I always found the palm OS cumbersome to use and found my self hacking it to do things I wanted. Has the palm OS gotten any better over the years? Are the windows CE based units any better?

Any pointers would be great as well as maybe some place to research new models. I guess price isn't a big deal, but don't really know that I want to spend $200-300 if I may upgrade in a year.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. slpdave

slpdave Active Member

City, State:
    Lenoir City, Tennessee
    2000 XLT
    What Laptop do you have

Different devices would meet your needs, and yes the palm os is better than it used to be.

I use a Palm Lifedrive, it is used as an electronic key to open lockboxes via the infrared port. It does a good job but it eats batteries quickly.

If you are accustomed to MSoft Winders....then go with a Windows mobile powered device (make sure you get something with Windows Mobile 5 OS) it will sync with a windows machine flawlessly. I had an Asus Mypal with Windows Mobile 3 on it, I had to have a palm powered device for my job as a realtor for the keysoftware. So I sold the Asus to my brother and he still uses it and syncs it with his toshiba laptop running Winders XP. It has decent battery life, and batteries are cheap and replaceable.

Palm made devices do not as a general rule have removeable batteries (my lifedrive included), my Palm V had a battery going out in it but it is like 10 years old.

you can even get some palm devices that use linux but I am afraid it would be cumbersome to sync it easily with windows.

so in a nutshell, the palm OS is O.K. but Windows mobile 5 is really the way to go right now. Check the battery run time expectancy of the devices and check for Wi-Fi being built in so you won't lose a slot to add Wi-fi. I have used several of the devices over the years for scheduling and work and being a retired IT person, I have had to repair a few too.

Of course any information is good information so I hope somone else chimes in as well.

David

4. ErickSaint

ErickSaint Active Member

City, State:
    Milwaukee, WI
    '94 XLT
    Currently no laptop has been purchased for my personal use, most will be syncing with an XP desktop. When I need to dump things quickly it will be sent to a co-workers HP laptop also running XP.

I'm looking into wi-fi as well. Looked briefly at the HP iPaq which had both wi-fi and bluetooth. What would possibly save some money on a laptop is if I could use the bluetooth capabilities to link it with my verizon phone and use the phone for a modem, but that may be asking too much.

Thanks for the info. I will look into windows mobile devices, they sound more suited to my needs. Any experience with the dell axim line? I have seen these on ebay at what seems like decent prices. But there is always that ebay fear when spending more than a few bucks.

5. Campo

Campo Elitus Explorus

City, State:
    White City, KS
    99 XLT 4x4
    Take a look at the Dell Axim X51V.
    I've been using mine for a year now and it's been flawless.

Comes with windows mobile 5, CF and SD slots. Sync via bluetooth or usb. I have mine connected to the MS Exchange server at work via OWA.
    Have used it with GPS, print via BT or IR. I sync with my home PC and work PC. You can also get a CF to USB adapter to add certain USB devices.
    And I use palm wireless keyboard that was made for the Tungsten
    :)

Check out www.aximsite.com, It's the Explorerforum for Dell PDA's

6. slpdave

slpdave Active Member

City, State:
    Lenoir City, Tennessee
    2000 XLT
    Like I said earlier, I had an ASUS Mypal, check out the ASUS devices, The Mypal 716 I had was flawless also, it just didn't run Windows Mobile 5.

ErickSaint keep in mind, buy the device with the OS you want/need. Due to the hardware in these little devils you'll most likely be stuck with the OS that comes installed on it (unless you install linux later). The mobile OS's don't have room for a billion drivers so Palm controls the hardware in their clones, microsoft will only support certain hardware also, a newer version of the OS is not necessarily compatible with older hardware. so like me when you need a newer OS you have to replace the machine.

Choose wisely.

David

7. simien60

simien60 New Member

I think this site, (http://www.smartratings.com/computers/pdas), can help you make the best choice. It has reviews - expert and users - that you can examine in order to know which is the one who satisfies your requirements. Just a suggestion.

8. briwayjones

briwayjones Manual Master

City, State:
    Eldersburg, MD
    2000 Ford Explorer XLS
    The Dell Axims X51V are very nice. Also the current generation of HP/Ipaq are very nice also. Currently the Dells and HP/Ipaqs are made by the same manufacture. I have a HP/Ipaq H4155 which has been very nice.

9. churd69

churd69 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Michigan
    07 Silverado Z71
    If you have Verizon, you should get the samsung i730 http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=1780
    They are running buy one get one free. I am thinking about getting one, if only someone else did we could split the $99 :D

-Rich

It has bluetooth and you can hook it up to your laptop and use it as a modem also.

10. ErickSaint

ErickSaint Active Member

City, State:
    Milwaukee, WI
    '94 XLT
    Yeah thats a good deal. Too bad my contract was up about 3 months ago and I just upgraded phones, unfortunately back then the need wasn't there. I was looking at the Motorola Q, but didn't go with it then because of having to upgrade to a voice/data plan to really get the most from it.

After looking around and reading a bit, I think the iPaq 4155 that was mentioned seems like a decent one to see if it will serve my purpose. I found a few on ebay and placed bids, most were outbid right away, but one has stuck so far. Hell it's only up to $16, it's worth it to try, but still 6 days left on the auction. Whats a fair going rate for something like this so I know when to jump out if the bids get crazy...$100? Trying to not jump in and spend 3-400 bucks, if it turns out to be something that will not be getting used as much as I think.

11. briwayjones

briwayjones Manual Master

City, State:
    Eldersburg, MD
    2000 Ford Explorer XLS
    I would say $100 is fair. I don't know I would go much higher than that for a 4155, maybe $150. It's an older model. There aren't really any new advancedments with newer models though. The newer models just have a newer version of Windows Mobile (no huge improvements) more internal memory and faster processors. I like the 4155 because I believe it is still the smallest PPC you can get.