Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Penetrating Firewall

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by MythX, December 26, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MythX

MythX Member

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '04 Explorer EB
      Truck is 2004 Explorer EB V8.

For Christmas this year, my wife got me a nice mobile ham rig. (For those interested, it's an Icom ID-880h). I'm super excited about getting this thing installed, however, I can't figure out how to get power from the battery into the cab. I've read a few posts about it, and have run across 2 suggestions. First was to follow the parking brake cable, 2nd was to go out through the door, into the fender area, then on under the hood. The parking brake cable, goes down under the vehicle, which I'd prefer not to do. The hood release cable is in that area and I can see both sides, but I don't think I can fit 2 14 gauge wires through it, it's a small opening. I liked the idea of the door, until I realized the rubber plug between the cab and this area forward of the door (this is below the wire harness) isn't a simple plug. I'm not sure what the plug is there for, but it's attached to something on the inside.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not above drilling my own, but would have to be easy to reach, I don't have a good selection of tools.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Number Twelve

Number Twelve Active Member

City, State:
      15 miles west of Tampa Florida
      2005 Ford Explorer XLT
      Just get a strain relief fitting for a 120 volt power cord and drill a hole in the firewall to fit it. About 1/2 inch IIRC. Install the wires and silicone the area to stop noise and air from getting in.

Option 2 would be to tap into the under-dash fuse block, but that's a bigger PIB than drilling a hole.

4. MythX

MythX Member

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      '04 Explorer EB
      Thanks for the reply. I ended up drilling a hole. I put it between the two studs that support the foam foot rest for the drivers left foot. Notched the foam for the wires, used a rubber pcv valve and siliconed it up. Wires are a bit exposed underneath, so need something to cover them with.

Thanks again for replying.

5. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Woodstock, GA
      04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
      That's where I put mine. Make sure the hole is big enough for future projects.

You can buy an assortment of rubber grommets. Drill a hole to fit one, 1" is good. 3M makes a rubber strip caulk. It's very maluable, great for filling cabs between wires etc and can be fairly easily removed by hand.