Performance A4LD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer23

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer
Before I move on with my build I would like to give the engine and transmission some love. So an engine rebuild with some upgrades is in my future. The transmission is the reason the truck got parked in the first place so I want to get that straigtend out. I have read a lot about diffrent swaps but as time goes right now and for the current needs I have an upgraded properly rebuilt tranny should be fine.

I know of one or 2 actual rebulders in the central Ohio area and was looking at rebuild kits online. Stumbled across this place http://www.transmissioncenter.org/a4ld.htm

thought their kit sounded pretty good and was going to call around to see if one of the shops in my area would be up to snuff.

However I see they offer complete transmissons for a little over $2,000.

So is this a good price for a rebuld tranny and has anyone ever delt with this company? If they are good I budgeted about that much for a local rebuild and upgrades so why not just buy the whole thing plug and play?

Any opinions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've skimmed through that build up before but it's not quite what I'm looking to do. I'll re-read but ideally I'm trying to get a cut and dry upgraded tranny, that a shop can provide, for under $3,000.

I could do the manual swap, I could swap in a 700r4 or c-4, or build frankentranny, BUT with so many time constraints because of work those wont happen right now. So I came to the conclusion that a stock rebuild is the best way to go. I can dig into it later if the A4LD is really as big of a turd as everyone thinks.

So to shorten my original post haha, has anyone delt with Transmissioncenter.net?

Yes,

I have run, and sold their stuff to customers.

It's the best trans shop period for over 50 years of race proven bad to the bone buisnaaaasss.

They are currently building my Stage 4 Dominator a4ld with custom lower ratio 1st and 2nd planets. $2662.00 with shipping. They offer 15% reduction for 1st and 5% 2nd standard, but with oversize tires I wanted more and they were happy to turn out a set 20% 1st - 10% 2nd and a 25% reduction 3rd so 4th will be 1:1 instead of 0.7:1 overdrive. For no for extra charge! Nice!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

They rate it at 750hp and that I cannot possibly break it with 160hp V6...ever....we'll see.....

They do recommend that I strap down and brace the transfer case though, so I don't tear out the trany mount or break the tail housing.

It's gonna jerk my Ex around like a toy!!!!! :eek:

Soooo excited! No fingernails left..!!!!.....:burnout:

Good to hear some positive feedback and to know that they are experienced and knowledgeable on 4x4 vehicles. Just looking at their site I wasnt sure if they were old/new or reliable. I didnt get the chance today but, I will give them a call sometime this week.

Also thanks for all the additional info on gear ratios and other options, I may be proud to say I have a stock tranny after all! :eek:

Just noticed your sig... haha maybe I should watch out for you seeing as how many people call the A4LD a turd!

I run some of there stuff.basically there stage 2bands and all the upgrades. Its held up to my built sc truck on 36x14.50 for some time now.shifts hard, key is keeping it cool...

Yeah I'm planning to run dual stock coolers and a temp gauge in the tranny and one in the cooler return line.

They also sell just a stocker for $1650 with the upgraded torque coverter.

$1320 bone stock, but still with the best clutches and bits-n-pieces.

Here's the link to the break down page:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aod.htm#Level 1

Watch some of their videos. their web site is a bit of a scramble. (they build transmissions very well, but Web sites? not so much)

Spend some time poking around and you'll find their history video and of course a lot of test ...attempting to break their stuff.. Lots of tire abuse!

NOTE: I do not work for, or am in any way connected to or represent PATC.

Just a fan!

Keep in mind the added expense of a new radiator and coolers.

NO WARRANTY COVERAGE IF YOU CAN'T SHOW RECEIPTS FOR BOTH RADIATOR AND AUX COOLERS.

Contamination from the external cooling system is in their opinion (and everyone else) guaranteed failure of your new transmission.

For off road use they recommend a return line filter, and a vent filter, Which can just be some foam filter zip tied over the vent. Like a model airplane engine filter for example.

I intend to run the vent tube up into the cab.

I cross a river frequently and do not want water get'n in.

Better tie you axle vents up higher also..dont know how many axles I've seen messed up because they were full of water:(

You could get an external cartridge style return line filter with a built in magnet & check valve. They come in two sizes (5/16" & 3/8"). The other option is a standard spin on external filter which is a basic oil filter on a bracket.

Wait so I need a new radiator because I bought a transmission?! Please explain. I have the stock cooler and a second one off a donor. Why wouldn't those still be ok to use?

Ok I understand now, just do a full system flush and I should be good right? I thought he meant new engine radiator AND trans coolers. I have been tossing around the idea of getting an aftermarket trans cooler but I wasn't sure which size to do or if I should buy 1 (or 2) of the biggest aftermarket ones I could find. Since I have 2 explorers I figured I would just do 2 stock since so many members go that route. Sound good?

As for the vents and filters etc that is certainly something I have in the works for all my breathers. Ideally I would like to get my diff, trans and whatever else all at the same height in the vehicle and in a central location just so I know where they terminate and can keep them safe.

Ok I understand now, just do a full system flush and I should be good right? I thought he meant new engine radiator AND trans coolers. I have been tossing around the idea of getting an aftermarket trans cooler but I wasn't sure which size to do or if I should buy 1 (or 2) of the biggest aftermarket ones I could find. Since I have 2 explorers I figured I would just do 2 stock since so many members go that route. Sound good?

As for the vents and filters etc that is certainly something I have in the works for all my breathers. Ideally I would like to get my diff, trans and whatever else all at the same height in the vehicle and in a central location just so I know where they terminate and can keep them safe.

I believe what he is saying is if you run their trans they require you to have all that for warranty. .they dont want rad fluid or anything else contaminating the trans.for that you need a isolated cooler(more than one or a BIG one), external filter and cover on the vent.

The cooler which is part of the radiator brings up the fluid temperature to a normal operating temperature faster. An isolated cooler helps keep the temperature lower since it doesn't have hot coolant next to it in a separate holding tank. What's the average temperature where you live? A cold climate should use the integrated cooler in the radiator. A very hot climate could use an external cooler without the cooler in the radiator. Are you planning on doing a lot of towing & off roading? If so, then just use an external cooler. If you want to have the best of both worlds, then connect an external cooler inline with the radiator cooler. An electric external cooling fan with an electric thermostat is another option.

I talked to JD about this lastnight. I had not realized the transmission cooler ran into the radiator, so after a little bit of research I was going to bypass that and run as cool as possible. However last week we had temperatures down below zero, and in the summer we get over 100 so I think I'll keep the stock set up and replace the radiator and go to a larger aftermarket cooler then maybe when things get further along in my build install electric fans. Although it's not a daily driver it would be nice to have the option of winter driving should I ever need it.

Good plan, I would not want to reduce the amount of ATF in the system, the more the better for cooling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Install a magnetic drain plug in the pan to make your next fluid change easier.

I installed a valve in my trans pan instead of a plug. Makes for a very clean drain of fluid, no splashing like with a plug, and if I overfill the trans I can just drain out however much I need to without dumping it all. Installed several magnets in the pan too. Has not leaked a drop in a year so far, on either Explorer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-092-007?seid=srese2

Attachments

• RNB-092-007_BK_ml.jpg
    RNB-092-007_BK_ml.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 774

Back