Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Performance Chip

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by 95viper08, March 8, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. 95viper08

95viper08 Active Member

City, State:
    Lake Stevens
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Explorer XLT Custom
    Ok everybody has probably heard about SLR Motorsports $50 performance chip that supposedly gives a 50HP/torque gain. has anyone heard any reviews/used them/now anyone whos used them that can give me some feed back? It sounds legit but also sounds to good to be true.

If its is a scam can anyone recommend a reasonably priced chip for my first gen explorer? (im not looking to spend thousand dollars on a chip for having some fun)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. techieman33

techieman33 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Topeka, KS
    00 V8 Mountaineer
    It's a joke it won't do anything for you. No chip will, the only reason to even consider chipping a 1st gen is if you have very extensive mods, which judging by your signature you don't have.

4. celly

celly disturber of the peace

City, State:
    calgary
    99 eb 5.0 awd
    There is only so much you can do to program a 93 anyhow. The technology just wasn't there back then. All those $50 "miracle chips" will do is lighten your wallet. 50 HP for $50? I'd love to spend about $200 worth and get 200 HP on mine.

Snake oil. Avoid like the plague.

5. 95viper08

95viper08 Active Member

City, State:
    Lake Stevens
    1993 Explorer XLT Custom
    thx for the feed back. oh and btw, just bc i have a small signiture doesnt mean im not working on it, im a college student so getting the money is hard to do. i do what i can as i can afford it, if u wanna complain that i have a small signiture give me $2500 and ill show u what i can do, thats what i need to have a mean street machine where i live.

6. 95viper08

95viper08 Active Member

City, State:
    Lake Stevens
    1993 Explorer XLT Custom
    so chipping is outta the question for now, anyone have any ideas on some other mods for ome get-up on my explorer?

im used to street cars, its a little different so any help is appreciated, thank you everyone

7. XLT

XLT Active Member

City, State:
    Wausau, WI
    1998 Sport SOHC 4X4
    I have heard good things up and eletric fan swap which frees up ponies and adds mpg. Underdrive pullies would help as well but i am unsure if they make them for ohv. If you have the high gear ratio like 3.27 you could swap for some 3.73 or 4.10 which would really give you and acceleration boost. Easiest would be to just swap out the axles.

8. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2008 XLT Ironman
    Underdrive pullies will work for the OHV or SOHC...they make a noticeable difference: www.stuffforyourranger.com

Electric Fan also helps. do a search here for chevy HHR fan or taurus electric fan.

do both of the above and you'll be happy for a while, I think.

A real chip does work on a stockish truck but don't expect miracles...usually around 10-15 HP max is what you'll see on a 93 octane tune. When I had my 91 EB 4x4 I was getting 155HP/229TQ at the wheels with intake/exhaust/throttle body/MAF and a chip. Doesn't sound like much but it definitely had some get up and go.

I've got a Diablo Delta chip that holds 3 programs and it will work on your 93. I will sell it to you cheap but you need to find someone who will tune it for you first. PM me if you are interested.

We Support Our Troops!