• Register Today It's free!

Performance Chips/Programmers

4X4Tribal

Reaction score
City, State
South Yarmouth, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
What brand of control chip or programmer do you have? I am in the market for one but with so many brands I'm not sure what to get. I'd like something that delivers the most bang for your buck...i.e. I want something that works well but that I don't have to spend a ton of money on. Also, what's the deal with all of the chips on ebay for $10-$50? Do they work or is it just a scam? Finally, does coupling an air intake upgrade with a chip make a bigger HP difference?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do intake/exhaust upgrades BEFORE you add a chip. If you're dealing with a good programmer, they'll want to know all the upgrades in your Ex and will tailor a program for you. Apten chips are common on this site. Two other site sponsors hang out on the site, "HypIllAuto" (Wayne) and "Doug904" (Doug aka "Bamachips") have been making a name for themselves lately and both seem quite capable. Might want to touch base with them. Apten's customer service has been in the tank lately.

re: eBay chips, you get what you pay for. They're most considered to be garbage. Spend the money on a proper tune. You'll be glad you did. I own an Apten dual program chip (Performance 87 and 91 programs) and am very happy with it. I've got room for two more programs and am going to have both Doug and Wayne show me their handiwork in the New Year.

Definitely consider a flasher over a chip. Easier to deal with and you don't need the flasher always attached to the car in order for it to work. One of the reasons I haven't sent my chip in for re-programming is that I don't want to be without it. If I had a flasher, that wouldn't be an issue. I just send the flasher back while still enjoying the program I had loaded. Flashers cost a bit more, but are probably worth it.

Use the SEARCH function to find out more info. There are tons of threads on this very subject.

I got the SCT flasher programmed by Wayne. I love not having to take anything apart. Plug and play is the best.

Well, I am very happy with Waynes work. very well done. You read my total experience here:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123317
The review is on page 3 I believe. I am not done testing it out yet. But I can tell you the power is very noticeable and thats with an 87 octane program. Dreamr has a good experience with Doug as well.

I almost got an apten chip. Im glad I didnt.

I have to second almost everything that Celly said!!!

My experiences with Apten were far from stellar, However Doug of Bamachips went out of his way to correct their(Apten's) mistakes and square me away with some new programmming. Awesome individual to deal with. Here's my review.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123711

smiley1 said:
I got the SCT flasher programmed by Wayne. I love not having to take anything apart. Plug and play is the best.

Well, I am very happy with Waynes work. very well done. You read my total experience here:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123317
The review is on page 3 I believe. I am not done testing it out yet. But I can tell you the power is very noticeable and thats with an 87 octane program. Dreamr has a good experience with Doug as well.

I almost got an apten chip. Im glad I didnt.
How much does the SCT cost? I went to the site and didn't see any prices.

4X4Tribal said:
How much does the SCT cost? I went to the site and didn't see any prices.

I found this on Doug'e ( bamachips ) site:

MicroTuner
We program up to three customized tunes along with the stock PCM tune all in one unit. Can also be used to check/clear engine diagnostic codes. Typical N/A GAS power gains are +15-20hp using the SCT Custom MicroTuner. More Power! Better mileage. Unleash the hidden power in your vehicle. We remove the speed limiter and rpm limiter when we build you a custom pcm file.

Applications: MOST Gas 1996-2004 Ford vehicles (cars and trucks)

Pricing Information
$399 - N/A or Blown with minor mods
$425 - Wild N/A
$475 - Wild Blown/Nitrous

I could not find a price on Wayne's site; he is easy to work with, drop him an e mail for his procing. http://www.hypillauto.com/

Both of these companies are first rate.

Good luck....

SCT is our base company, they don't sell to the public.

As for pricing on most any Explorer, I sell either the X-calibrator with three programs and a programming cable for $375 Or the blue Micro Tuner for $399, the programming cable for it is extra. They worh fine without the cable it is only needed if you would like to use the end-used adjustable software and can even be purchased later on.

Just shoot me an email with some details about your truck and driving style and I'd be happy to tell you alittle more about what I have to offer.

BamaChips@charter.net

Thanks, Doug.

Back