• Register Today It's free!

Performance chips?

BlueEx00

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4 door 4x4
Was wondering about performance chips to improve gas mileage on my xlt 4x4 4.0 was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried the SCT tuner on my 2000 Sport. Honestly, didn't notice any difference before/after but I averaged 20.6 mpg over the vehicle lifetime.

Drive slower....

Was asking as an alternative, I don’t know much on the subject that’s why i made the post but thank you for your words of wisdom

Most of the tunes "off of the shelf" basically make the spark timing more aggressive, which usually give a incremental improvement in efficiency. I think Ford tuned our Explorers to run on 85 octane so you might gain a little if you use 87, and if the tune actually assumes you will be using 87.

The side effect is that your computer might not be happy if you ever got bad gasoline (with a lower octane rating).

That makes a lot of sense thank you!

Ford has a good EFI system and tuned these pretty well. There is not much gain in performance to be had on a stock engine. A tuner should allow transmission tuning and I found more performance gains there by letting it wrap to higher rpm in first and then dropping back down into 1 and 2 earlier during WOT. The tranny gains are not that big, probably not enough to buy a tuner unless you want to learn and play with it.

Back