Pics of tri-sub box under construction | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pics of tri-sub box under construction

bates wants more pics!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More pics coming soon...

i cant take the suspense

7134subbox8.jpg

Some day I may put a cap in each one of these spaces.
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Awwww, look at this cute package of poly-fil :D
Dead Link Removed

aaaahhhhhhhhh, thats better! lookin good, the little bears on the poly fil is my fav.

Hartman:

Why is the middle box smaller than the other two?

Originally posted by nonameputs
Hartman:

Why is the middle box smaller than the other two?

read the thread... he made it like that so the outer 2 would pound harder than the middle one.

Originally posted by coolchriscush

read the thread... he made it like that so the outer 2 would pound harder than the middle one.

Yep, that's why. The middle sub will be run mono off of my Kicker ZR240, which will be about 300w to that middle sub. The outer subs will be run off a KX600, 300x2w.

sorry, but I'm lazy and didn't feel like reading. That's a really good idea. The only potnetial problem I can see happening is that there might be some difference in the frequencies amplified by the smaller box, but it would be really easy to fix with a parametric eq, and it may not even happen. Most people wouldn't even notice it if it was there. It might actually help. If the bigger boxes were amplifying frequencies a little lower than the middle box you could get a bigger sound all together, because there wouldn't be only one resonant frequency. Anyway, it looks really cool and I can't wait to see the finished product.

looking good what is the cu. ft. for each chamber? Not bad for your first box that one is always the hardest. You do this all by yourself? Seriously though dont get offended but are you serious about the middle chamber? You made it smaller on purpose? I just wonder cause i have never heard of anyone doing that before. Unique yes that will be unique. good work though.

Yeah i agree that there may be a problem with the smaller chamber, Especially with identical subs. You are changing the charateristics of the sub. A good idea might be to have the smaller chamber handle the higher bass frequencys and let the outer ones handle the lower bass frequencys. Otherwise there may be some strange resonance going on. Just my 2 cents!

I did make the center chamber smaller on purpose. It just sounded like it would be a good idea. If it doesn't work out, I will adjust the chambers so that they are equal.

MORE PICTURES! I am a madman. I found some black auto carpet at PepBoys that was absoluetly PERFECT for my box (thanks Robb). I started covering it tonight. As you can see in the pics, all I have to cover is the ends of the box.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

I should have the box totally completed by tomorrow morning. I have sealed this box up at every point where one piece of wood meets another piece of wood with caulk. I have no worries about any of the chambers leaking air.

COMMENTS WELCOME!

When carpeting the sides, use a razor blade to cut the existing carpet right to the edge. Then when you glue on the side pieces, use sissors to cut it so it is even with the other carpet...then feather the edges together and it should look professional! Great job dude!

I have one comment...

When you're going to mount the subs, you may have a tough time sealing around the edge of the subs themselves because the carpet goes all the way up to the edge of the cut out. I was just wondering if there is an easy way to seal it well with the carpet there, because I'm going to have the same kind of problem when I get my box and stuff. Should you just cut the carpet back a little or is there an easy way to do it with the carpet there?

Nice box Hartman, but as noted earlier, you may have a sealing problem!! I know, because I had the same problem with getting mine to seal. Actually, I had already trimmed the carpet but was not close/precise enough and had air leaks. Has the carpet already been glued down? I recommend setting one of the speaker templates ontop, mark it somehow and carefully trim the carpet away. Again, nice job bro.:bounce:

I just tested a sub in one of the holes. Since I folded the carpet over the edges, it made the hole a little smaller, making for an extremely tight fit. When screwed in, I cannot see how any air could escape because the sub is so snug against the hole. I am transplanting my current system (2 12's) into this box just to see how it performs (the middle chamber will be left open until my 3 new subs come). I will have results tomorrow.

lookin sweet hartman! cant wait to see it done and in the truck, what kind of subs are you puttin in it??

nevrmind, read the first post again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they are correct. You are going to have to trim the carpet back so the sub is sealing against the wood. I ran into the same problem, the carpet isnt a good gasket per say. You can put a few screws into the sub in place and trim carefully around it with an exacto knife.

Back