Pinion Seal Replacement, Differential Preload, Oil Temperature, Etc. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pinion Seal Replacement, Differential Preload, Oil Temperature, Etc.

ERUSH97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT, 03 XLT, 13 XLT
I'm curious if anyone has any insight on normal differential operating temperatures for a stock 8.8 with 4.10 gears.

I replaced my rear pinion seal and U-joints this weekend and took care to ensure everything was exactly reassembled, including indexing everything. I did not check the pinion bearing preload as I don't own a beam style in-lb torque wrench. It is well documented that indexing the nut to the pinion and counting threads is a suitable preload workaround. It took tremendous torque to tighten the pinion flange nut to correct position - maxed out my impact wrench - but everything should be in the correct position.

I filled the differential with 3 quarts of Motorcraft 80W-90.

After a few highway test drives, everything seems to drive ok; no noises, vibrations, hums, etc.

I measured the differential housing temperature near the pinion area with an infrared thermometer to see if anything is overheating. I'm consistently getting 200-205 deg F after normal 70mph highway driving with ambient temperatures in the 60s. The differential cover is measured to be in the 160-180 deg F. range.

Are these temperatures normal? I've read elsewhere that the differential operating temperature range shouldn't exceed 200 deg F. Can anyone confirm or share their experience? I don't want to ruin any bearings.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wanted to post an update. I've been measuring temperatures since my last post and they seem to be settling in the 160-180 degree range, depending on driving type and ambient temperature. I still don't have any hums, leaks, or whine so I think all is well.

Perhaps the brief increase in temperature was due to the bearings reseating a little after the work since I removed the outer pinion bearing for inspection when I removed the bad seal.

I'll keep this post updated if anything drastic happens.

Thanks for reading.

Eric

Should probably be running 75w140 full synthetic in the rear.

Thanks. Ford spec for my rear end is 80w90. I don't have the FX4 II package, so I don't need 75w140. Also don't need the XL-3 friction modifier as I don't have limited slip.

If I had some noise, I'd consider using 75w140 as Ford recommends it in some TSBs applicable to other vehicles addressing noise with the same 8.8 rear end.

It’s all the same axle, so I’d use whatever was in the TSBs. There was also no mention of what this axle was in, so I was assuming it was a Second Gen.

Apologies, my 2006 XLT Ranger 4x4. 8.8 Rear end, 4.10 gears.

Back