PLAN B Build | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, the list. I remember those days.

Is this going to be a street legal rig? If so, you might have to make an appointment with a BAR referee for the engine swap.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yes, street legal. I know I have to go to BAR for the swap, but since I transferred everything over it should be pretty easy. I thought about just going and trying to have it smoged once it's running....I mean it still has a 4.0 in it..:thumbsup: it's the same block.. :dunno: It's not like I dropped a LS1 in it.

It would fail the visual inspection if the smog guy was paying attention. It probably runs cleaner than the older engine. If the smog laws in California weren't all about more money for the state, it wouldn't matter what you did as long as it passes the emissions for that particular vehicle.

I have emissions papers from my old 2.9
Then I have papers with the ohv 4.0
and finally with the 5.0, all in the same BII all in the same emission station in Littleton, CO
The 5.0 burns CLEANER then the 4.0 and blows HALF the emissions of the old 2.9L V6

This is coming along nicely I really like the colors!

Wiring the master cylinder? You mean the 3 circuits for the clutch switch bypass?

I have emissions papers from my old 2.9
Then I have papers with the ohv 4.0
and finally with the 5.0, all in the same BII all in the same emission station in Littleton, CO
The 5.0 burns CLEANER then the 4.0 and blows HALF the emissions of the old 2.9L V6

This is coming along nicely I really like the colors!

Wiring the master cylinder? You mean the 3 circuits for the clutch switch bypass?

No, there's nothing left for the clutch. I believe it's the low level sensor in the reservoir.

Yes brake master cylinder they switched styles on the low level switch, no matter the wires are the same. Low fluid = completes the circuit, two wires.

Which door panels are you using, the 1st or 2nd gen's? Here's a picture of the larger slot I made for the 99 door panel in my 91 LF door. The panel has a little plastic hook/ledge that goes into the top hole where the mirror nuts go in.

Below that is the same 91 door where I cut the special hole for the big wiring connector. That was fun(not), but the one for the keyless entry pad wasn't hard.

Projectthread092.JPG

Projectthread053.JPG

1st gen doors and pannels with 2nd gen wiring and switch's. I still have to make new plates to go in the door panels for the 2nd gen switch's.

So I had to cut the hole for the door panel and the 3" hole on the A pillar. Plus I did it all without talking the door off..:eek:

1st gen doors and pannels with 2nd gen wiring and switch's. I still have to make new plates to go in the door panels for the 2nd gen switch's.

So I had to cut the hole for the door panel and the 3" hole on the A pillar. Plus I did it all without talking the door off..:eek:

Very good, and with the door on, priceless.

Are you after the 2nd gen switches, I think the wiring would go into the back of the 1st gen switches? I have a new master 1st gen switch panel somewhere. It is a flat piece, so fabricating something to accept the 2nd gen switches shouldn't be too bad. I did that on my 99's right side, I cut new holes in the original part, to accept the master switches.

Projectthread069.JPG

It was just easier to not touch the wiring as I use all the wiring from the 2nd gen. Besides using everything 9 years newer. I removed the plastic top, and just have the switch panel. I'm going to make metal plates like the original first gen ones and they will have exposed screws for a industrial look. Maybe even use thin diamond plate, have to see what I find for material.

Also I have a free extra Navajo badges I was thinking of adding to the sides.

A. On the fender like Rangers/ Bronco
B. On the door low like 3rd & 4th gen Explorers
C. Not at all.

Thoughts?

not at all :)
let em guess

I like a little hint in the fender area, but not glaring if possible. I'd do it.

My 98 Limited I'm going to remove all of the Explorer labeling, which are many, including the Limited, and rebadge with the same Mountaineer trim my 98 Mercury has. I'll let people guess, it'll have a Mercury air bag, and a memory seat switch(or two). The fenders I'll put a 327 A4WD on an OEM kind of decal like the silver/black V8 AWD decal that 96-98 had.

Make it interesting, and let them guess.

"jeep" is like a tissue to a kleenex, everything "off road" to some people is a "Jeep"
My BII: "ooooh honey look at that jeep"....the wifes FJ: "ooooh honey look at that Jeep"....... To me it's still a compliment that they notice the rig
If it was a Jeep it wouldn't make the trail, and home, and then to work, and then back to the trail.....instead it would be on a flatbed! :burnout:

I have to occasionally correct people that the Explorer is not a Friggin Jeep, I would put on the fender symbols like the Bronco's. I don't have anything against Jeeps, just some of their owners who think nothing is as good as their bolt-on, shop built, $50,000+ rig.

Thought of getting custom badges made too...but I think I'll save this idea for when I upgrade to more power and a V8;)

NAVAHO

Look what I found in my garage today..:thumbsup:.

index.php

index.php

and the motor went back in today....

index.php

oh man makes me want to chop up my BII so bad
Takes a heck of a hoist to clear the radiator support with the tires and suspension on that rig!

Back