• Register Today It's free!

planning junk yard trip

94beastx

Reaction score
City, State
Aiken, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
I have a 94 sport that is pretty much stock and I am looking to get some cheap mods. Anyway I could use some cool ideas, currently I'm gonna try to get a frame mounted hitch and maybe an overhead display. Any other cool ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leather, sun roof, manual hubs, f-150 spacers...

Newer Explorer rear axle - comes with disc brakes.

Overhead console w/ autodimming mirror

5.0 MAF housing - its wider and allows more airflow, 4.0 sensor bolts right on to the 5.0 housing

2wd explorer tie rod, first gen - has a wider diameter and is stronger

Keep your eye out for things like brush guards, nicer interior pieces, floormats, all that fun dress up stuff.

If you can find a nice late 80's/early 90's F150 with the towing package you could score yourself a full 2" lift. Get the F150 front coil springs and the rear leafs and then put those coils on your truck up front, and bolt the leaf springs up to your explorer main leaf. 2" lift, just get it aligned and you'll be A+.

Also keep your eyes open for trucks with differentials that have better gears than yours. If you can find a truck with a 4.10 LS or 3.73 LS tagged differential, it'd be worth it to grab it. Maybe $150 for both diffs at the junk yard, compared to thousands for regearing your diffs. Think about it.

thanks for the ideas. sudden death, is there a write up for the f-150 lift mod?

There is a VERY detailed thread for the F150 rear leaf spring lift here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101035

However, be warned, that thread makes it sound overly complicated. All you are doing is taking your main explorer leaf (the longest one) off of the rest of the leafs and then bolting all of the F150 leaves (except the main, its too long) up to the explorer main leaf.

And for the front coil springs I'm sure there is something somewhere. All you're really doing is swapping your coils for the F150 coils, should be a pretty direct fit. The most interesting part of it all will be getting it aligned. Make sure you take it to someplace that knows what they're doing. Call ahead. Tell them its a 1994 Explorer Sport that's been lifted. If they sound confident and/or tell you that they've done it before, then thats your place. Some shops will take your $$ and then straighten out your toe and leave your wacky camber and say "Oh we couldnt fix it."

Get yourself some navajo parts too , like the front end. Looks good on an x.

Back