Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Plastic gas cans. I'm so pissed off I could just spit!

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by koda2000, November 7, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    x
    Why, why, why does the EPA keep messing with our plastic gas cans?

I bought 5 gals of 10% ethanol regular gasoline (@ $2.79 a gal) about 2 months ago for my lawn tractor. Right after I bought the gas it stopped raining so the grass stopped growing and then (once it started raining again) it was too cold for the grass to grow. So I have 5 gals of 10% ethanol fuel, which will likely go bad way before next spring. I decided to put the 5 gals of gas into one of our cars to use it up.

Issue #1:
    The 5 gallon can I have does not fit into any of our car's fuel filler necks

Issue #2:
    My 5 gallon can requires you to insert the spout into something to open a valve for the fuel to come out, so using a funnel doesn't help

Issue #3:
    My 5 gallon can does not have a vent, so it takes a long time for the fuel to come out of it (glug, glug stop.., glug, glug stop... (5 gals of fuel is too heavy to hold upside-down at a weird angle for a long period of time even if I could get it to pour)

Solution?
    I have several older, smaller plastic gas cans that have vents and hoses that will fit into our 2009 Fusion's filler neck. One can even has a handle you push to open a valve to allow the fuel to come out. I siphon gas from the 5 gal can into the smaller cans, which are both 2.5 gals (or so I think). I then siphon the remainder of the 5 gal can (2.5 gals) into my other smaller can, but before the 5 gal can is empty the second smaller can overflows! Why? I guess the EPA decided that 2 gals 16 oz gals was just too much gas to put into a small can, so they made it 2 gals 8 oz! Outcome - spilled gas all over.

Issue #4:
    The clear plastic hose on the old smaller cans breaks when I try to bend it to put it into the car's fuel filler, which causes me to spill gas down the side of the car! #@!&%))!

I end up having to get a step ladder, put the 2 gal 8 oz can on so that I can siphon the remaining fuel from the can into the car.

Results:
    I'm now totally pissed off. I'm covered in gasoline. I've spilled gasoline all over my garage. I've spilled gasoline down the side of my freshly washed car. I'm throwing away 2 of my 3 plastic gas cans because the sneaky bastards at the EPA change the threads on the cans every few years so you can't switch the hoses/caps/valves between different cans.

In retrospect, I wish I'd just thrown the 5 gals of gas away. If I ever meet the SOB who feels it's necessary to keep changing our gas can designs every couple of years (always for the worse) I'm going to punch him in the mouth. Did any of these gas can redesigns prevent spillage/evaporation into the atmosphere? NO! They created it!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 410Fortune

410Fortune Firewood Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    you can buy pour spouts online that fit those new gas cans and turn them into the old style
    I refuse to use those newer style cans
    The government put theblitz gas can company out of business with their new EPA rules

Why the Largest Maker of Portable Gas Cans is Going Out of Business | StateImpact Oklahoma

Amazon.com: gas can pour spout

We use these, as our old metal Nato cans wear out (Army surplus) we are switching over to this style:
    https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Sq...ords=fast+fill+fuel+jug&qid=1573146989&sr=8-2

Put some stabil in your Ehtenol fuel and it will be okay until next spring

Sorry for your troubles you are NOT ALONE
    So tired of the EPA BULLCRAP!!

4. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    I've seen ads for retrofit old-style pour spouts, but I've also watched a recent YouTube video with someone saying that those spout kits didn't fit his newest design gas cans because the EPA had changed the threads yet again. Instead he cut off the plastic locking ratchet thing, putted out the ON/OFF lock for the spout valve, drilled a 1/2" hole in the top of the can's handle and installed a tubeless tire valve (valve core removed) to act as a seal-able vent. It's just freaking ridiculous what you have to go through. While my 5 gal plastic gas can will work to fill my 4 gal lawn tractor's fuel tank, the lack of a vent is a PITA and the hard plastic ON/OFF valve causes me to rest the full 5 gal can on the edge of the fuel tank's fill hole where the weight of the 5 gals of fuel often makes the spout leak (plus it's useless to use on a car or truck) Another government cluster f**k!

When I was a kid we had a 5 gal metal army surplus Jerry can with a metal screw-in goose neck spout. That thing worked great and never leaked a drop. I wish I still had it. In the meantime I now need to find (and no-doubt modify) a gas can that will still work on a vehicle in case someone runs out of gas.

5. Turdle

Turdle Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    I always spill some trying to get this new style nozzle pressed down to fuel my 4 stroke string trimmer. Stupid POS

The person who designed this crap clearly has no use for a gas can.

6. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    I was just doing some research on new old-fashioned 5 gal metal army-surplus style Jerry cans. They're quite inexpensive and some even come with the metal goose-neck filler. I think I'm going that route and to hell with the stupid plastic "safety cans" forever.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Centaurus5.0

Centaurus5.0 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    96'
    Buy a $5 funnel and remove the spout when pouring, dummy. ;)

8. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    @koda2000 Much of today's problems with gas cans actually stem from California legislation. Hope you are not a Californio, or you may dislike me greatly for what I say.

First, the G.D. cans must have "anti-tipover" protection: the flow shuts off if tipped over. N ow, how the hell do you tip a can to empty it?

Various other requirements were instituted. Small wonder those folks having had so much lee-way legislated away, are leaving that state in droves! imp

9. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    I hate the plastic gas cans. I have a couple small plastic cans, but they all have the old school spouts. I have two of the old metal cans with screw in spouts. One is on the bumper of the Explorer, the other is in the shed with a mount to add it to the Explorer if I need more fuel capacity. When I was over at my parents going through stuff, I found four more nearly new looking metal cans in their shed, two red, two blue. I snatched them up with a quickness.

• Like Like x 1
  10. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    Oh, I tried that. I would have needed a funnel with a 45 degree bend in it, someone to hold it in place and then I'd have to hold the full 5 gallon can (what's a gallon of gasoline weight? 6.3 lbs? x 5 = 31.5 lbs) while I slowly poured it in. Come on.

@imp - Please don't get me started on California. It's the most messed up state in the U.S. and it's getting worse with each passing year. No wonder people are leaving in droves.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 410Fortune

410Fortune Firewood Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    Idaho is closed
    I just got the word!

I love my nato cans but he rubber seals get dry and then the clip on spouts start to leak
    We also have some rotopax for the utvs that are awesome indestructible and wont leak, but they only hold 1.5 gallon, yawn.
    The quick fill plastic jugs are the way to go, I am re working my rear Duff bumper that was designed to hold one 5 gal jerry can, so it an hold two of the fast fill jugs

Sorry Californians for the bad news have to stay in WA and OR thank you!

Last edited: November 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    @BKennedy

Over the years, I found when I finally got back to checking my stock of old Jerry cans, some military issue, some aftermarket, several had rusted through on their bottoms! Small pinholes. Those cans which were the BEST had keystone-shaped spouts with hinged flap-type covers with a swivel cam which squeezed the cover tightly closed. Evidently very good rubber seals, maybe Neoprene, which back then was quite expensive, never leaked a drop if tipped over.

SECOND best had a big threaded hole, with a big threaded (male) cap with rubber seal, and 4 "wings" to tighten by. Caps more prone to leakage. Both types had specialized spouts available for pouring; some stored within the can.

If you see that first type for sale, if it's bottom is sound, BUY IT! imp

13. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    @BKennedy - I don't really store gasoline (except for use in my lawn tractor during the summer months) because ethanol blended fuel goes bad so quickly. In vehicles that are infrequently used (like our now semi-retired '00 Mountaineer 5.0) I don't use ethanol blended gasoline. After having it sit for only about 30 days it ran like crap for a mile or so after starting it for the 1st time in a month. It had been running perfectly and after using up what I suspect was some water that had accumulated in the bottom of the fuel tank it's back to running great again. As the tank was almost empty, I immediately put in a 1/2 tank of non-ethanol blended fuel. I've got a 1/2 tank of 10% ethanol blended fuel in my currently engine-less '01 Sport Trac that I have to drain out and get rid of. I never intended to have it off the road for 12 months + but it sh*t happens.

One thing I know is the next gas can I buy will be metal and will have a non-EPA compliant filler neck!

• Like Like x 1
  14. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    I too miss the old gas cans, big government is fouling up our lives. I bought my last gas can about ten years back, a metal five gallon with flexible steel spout, similar to this blue one; https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-7250330-AccuFlow-Galvanized-Flexible/dp/B003PGRR84/ref=sr_1_103?crid=3JP61NXQ13BKI&keywords=fuel+cans+5+gallon&qid=1573396218&sprefix=fuel+can,aps,161&sr=8-103

Be careful with any of any of the metal fill spouts, some will barely go into a gas tank neck hole, but hand inside of it. Mine has a metal tip end that can come off if pulled hard enough, I was lucky enough to get it out of my Mountaineer the first time I used it for that.

I see now that things have changed again since 2010, what's on Amazon are mostly crap I don't want for a gas can. I would settle on the Jerry can type, or the large mouthed plastic race fuel cans.

15. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    These days the choice for me is, Nato cans & spouts or the older style Jerry's.

Speaking of cans over time...
    I am restoring a pair of 1944 WW2 US Jerry's for a Friends Christmas present this year. They will attach to his 1944 WW2 Jeep that was used overseas for MP use. These things are 75 years old, and in like new condition. They was my Grandfathers, and I think he would approve of this gifting. The insides have a food grade liner (in mint condition), making these good for potable water use back then if wanted. The only thing wrong with these, is the locking flip lids need new gaskets, and a little paint touch up. They sure don't make things like they used to.

I wish we could get non blended fuels here. 15% in everything is state law. :(

• Like Like x 1
  16. CDW6212R

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Oh, I thought everyone had the option of real gas still. It's about 50 cents more per gallon here, but any that is premium or mid grade is super rare. The real gas fluctuates wildly though, due to being rarely purchased. I have a place near that has all three grades(six choices), and the premium real gas was under 10 cents more than alcohol premium. That was six months ago, now it too is high, about $4 a gallon now I think.

17. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    Speaking of the government messing in our lives. My 2006 Cub Cadet lawn tractor had (had) a host of "safety features" all of which I've disconnected over the years because they drove me crazy.

First to go - Every time you put the tractor in reverse it would turn of the electric clutch which disengaged the mowing deck unless you pushed a button on the dash (careful, don't back over your children I guess). My yard has many places where I need to reverse, but I don't want to have to push special button every time I do and if I forget to push the button I have to reset the PTO. Forward and reverse are controlled by stepping on one end, or the other, of the same pedal.

Second to go - If you lifted your butt off the seat w/out putting on the parking brake the engine would shut off. Some area's of my yard have divots where I like to use my knees as shock absorbers. Safety switch disconnected.

Third to go - If you lifted your butt off the seat while mowing the deck would turn off. There is an area of my yard that requires me to do a "one-cheek-sneak" to avoid pricker bushes. 2nd safety switch disconnected.

Last to go, the plastic thing that prevents the blades from slinging debris you might hit. Not a terrible idea, but in practice it causes clippings to clog the deck on thick grass and would get in the way when I tried to cut grass in drainage gullies. I used to keep it UP with a bungee cord, but I finally just removed it. I've never flung anything from the deck in the 13 years I've operated the tractor.

I swear the government must employ hundreds of people (that don't live in the same world as the rest of us) who just sit around thinking up new ways to complicate our lives with stupid "safety improvements". I'm a believer in the Darwin theory, those who are too dumb to survive should not. We need to be more responsible for our own safety. Unfortunately "common sense" is not so common any more.

When used to ride motorcycles I always wore a helmet. I always wear a seat belt when I drive/ride in a car/truck. I always wear eye protection when I am doing something that might injure my eyes. I consider myself safety conscious, but I don't want the government forcing their idea of safety on me. I except that responsibility.

Years ago I recall reading a magazine story where someone my age told how he was riding in his friend's dad's old woody station wagon. He said he was leaning against the door. They went around a corner, the door opened and he fell out. His wan't hurt and he asked that his friends father not mention the incident to his dad, because he'd get in trouble for being a dumb-ass and falling out. It made me laugh, because that's the world I grew up in as a kid.

• Like Like x 2
  18. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    BP/Amoco premium never has ethanol in it. Some stations near me (like Murphy) sell regular grade gasoline w/out ethanol. It's about .20 more per gallon than their 10% ethanol blend.

19. CDW6212R

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Funny you mention all of that, I posted this earlier this morning on a car forum(Corral.net) about their new software;
    This new format

upload_2019-11-10_14-45-46.gif

20. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    These are my favorite
    20180214_165801.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  21. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    Yep, that's like the one we had growing up. Ours was likely army surplus (as it was olive drab in color and I'm talking about the 1950's).