Platinum arrived scratched | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Platinum arrived scratched

I'd refuse it. A dealer can't expect you to buy a $50+ thousand SUV and accept it anything less than perfect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd refuse it. A dealer can't expect you to buy a $50+ thousand SUV and accept it anything less than perfect.

Problem is (at least from what I've been reading) perhaps Ford (and many dealers) only see it as a net $20k - $25k vehicle with perhaps 10k actual net costs of tacked on items type vehicle. Remember that little plastic platinum badge will cost you and makes a great $10k - $20k or more combined profit for Ford and the dealers but do you really see any sort of consistent level of service and value over what you might see if you had just purchased a 2016 Base FWD Explorer?

Even considering all that - as Ryan02Stang said it should be absolutely perfect.

Does the multi-quote not work for anyone else? I swear I had used it before here.

Why accept a brand new vehicle anything less than perfect? My opinion is any paint repair will never been better than what is put on by the factory.

You already take a huge depreciation hit when you drive it off the lot. Wouldn't it be better to start off with something without any repairs?

Dealers are legally able to repair a certain percentage of the vehicle due to damage from transportation, lot accidents, test drives etc prior to sale without ever telling a new buyer. I get my Ford salesman to run my cars through Oasis before purchasing because of it.

However to think that "any" paint repair will never be better than the factory paint is really far from the truth. I get it's your opinion but how many threads do we see where people are complaining about paint quality? A top painter will be leaps and bounds above a Ford paint job. A lot of time it takes a lot of work finding a top tier painter but there are plenty out there..

These Explorers are mass produced, partly by robots, on a continuously moving production line. I believe the time to actually build one is about 1 hour. I doubt that any vehicle coming off this type of production line is ever going to be perfect and expecting one to be that is unrealistic IMO. If you want perfection, go with a hand built Bentley or Rolls.

Peter

Does the multi-quote not work for anyone else? I swear I had used it before here.

Dealers are legally able to repair a certain percentage of the vehicle due to damage from transportation, lot accidents, test drives etc prior to sale without ever telling a new buyer. I get my Ford salesman to run my cars through Oasis before purchasing because of it.

However to think that "any" paint repair will never be better than the factory paint is really far from the truth. I get it's your opinion but how many threads do we see where people are complaining about paint quality? A top painter will be leaps and bounds above a Ford paint job. A lot of time it takes a lot of work finding a top tier painter but there are plenty out there..

Perhaps I should have used "durable" in regards to factory paint versus shop painting. I agree, the look of shop paint can be leaps and bounds beyond that of factory paint (orange peel, etc) but my understanding from what I've read (and personally experienced) is the durability of the factory paint (using processes that cannot be duplicated outside of the factory) is normally not matched or exceeded by shop painting.

These Explorers are mass produced, partly by robots, on a continuously moving production line. I believe the time to actually build one is about 1 hour. I doubt that any vehicle coming off this type of production line is ever going to be perfect and expecting one to be that is unrealistic IMO. If you want perfection, go with a hand built Bentley or Rolls.

Peter

Well maybe not perfect. But I'm sure many would agree that there are vehicles by different manufacturers at comparable and lower price points (both mass produced) which can be found that have quality, fit and finish much much better than what people have been reporting on Ford's higher end trim models found on the Explorers and F150s. If more customers would raise the bar of their expectations then perhaps manufacturers would strive harder to meet those expectations as they should easily be able to do.

Personally if I were purchasing any new vehicle I simply would not accept any non-factory paint repair unless the dealer was willing to drop the purchase price

Back