Playing Hookie, is it really worth it?!?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Playing Hookie, is it really worth it?!?!?

SVO

Meow
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Smithville/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
08' Suzuki SX4
OK! well this question does pose some interesting answers.

And I know we all have a different set of priorities that put things in a different perspective.

Well here's what happened, I recieved a phone call from one of my very good friends that I used to race with, and he asked if he could hire me as a long distance driver, assistant and vehicle consultant for a car he wants to going pruchace.

He had made his plans that we would leave out early this past Monday morning, well upon me doing my home work, I noticed that the weather was going to play a big part in making this happen smoothly, there was a front with snow moving across the Oklahoma/Missouri states, right where will be going, so we decided to leave out Sunday night insted.

Locked and loaded we head out on our jaunt!

16937tools.jpg

We arrived in Missouri about 4:30am and grabbed a cat nap before waking up and calling into work ill (the playing hookie part here ;) )

Mind you I have sick time coming to me.

169370008cr.jpg

It was very cold there, but it was a nice hotel with these cool gold fish.

So after kicking my co-partner out of bed and back into the Lightning we were off for what was to be a hella adventure.

After a slight miscalculation on directions I made a mad effort to make short work of gettting us back to where we needed to be, so I took some 2 lane back roads that were really windy and hilly to get back on HWY 44, and boy were the back roads a hoot!

169370009cr.jpg

169370004cr.jpg

Considering my friend and I have been doing road racing since we have had our driver's licences he wasn't too worried about the events unfolding at speed, we did get to see some really cool stuff while honking down the road.

169370005cr.jpg

169370018cr.jpg

Upon arrival to our destination my buddies anticipation level was just about through the roof and was about to crawl out of his skin, then it happened...........

As we pull into the meeting spot he saw his new toying being fueled up and ready to head back to Texas, and he just about lost it in his pants!

169370003cr.jpg

YUP! that's right you are looking at what you thought, 1 of 300, 2000 Cobra R models built by Ford SVT.

We finalize the logistics on the sale, me wittnessing all the formalities and we explain we would like to stay and have a beer or three and BS but we have a nasty snow storm to skirt so we hop in our rides and fled south west to get our game on for the next bit of events to follow!

169370011cr.jpg

You know your in for some trouble when you see this bad boy rolling up behind you! :D

169370001cr.jpg

How about a little playing around on the freeway there bubba?!

The Lightning has just about every bolt-on except for the KB blower, this 4700lbs. land missle is by no means a slouch!

So from a 70 punch next to the "R" model we get it on!

169370010cr.jpg

Needless to say I didn't have enough in my deck of cards to keep this monster at bay, he was gone before I could even get the Lightning to shift in to 4 gear!

169370014cr.jpg

As we pressed on we started to get that ill feeling because it started to flurry, and then the bottom dropped out.

169370012cr.jpg

No sooner did we get to Oklahoma and Johnny Law wanted to sample some of our toys too.

169370016cr.jpg

169370017cr.jpg

Released with a hand shake and a "please be very carefull" we were back on our way.

The snow was so bad and happened so quickly the roads were horrible and unprepped for the inclimate weather.
It was a white knuckle ride for 4 hours at a stunning rate of 40mph or slower, the roads were so bad that both of us had problems, at one point just before this picture we were all slowing down and I let off the throttle and the wieght shifted forward on the truck enough for it to start getting wiggly, after some carefull correcting I almost had it till she went into the un-used, completley snow covered left lane and that is all she wrote, ZOOOOOM right off the road in trough the median backwards into on coming traffic, I managed to keep my cool and kept on doing my piloting manuvers enough to get her back into the median and then eventually back on the road, all my partner said on the raido was, "Hey where you going?!!??"

169370013cr.jpg

The storm was horrible, I've been in worse but this wasn't fun, and there was a lot of carnage too.

Damn it was cold!

169370015cr.jpg

Well to shorten this up a bit, after we got back to where is was all dry again we cranked up the operating speed and got back the Lone Star State.

And you know it, we pulled over about one exit from Trckmagik's house in Dallas and switched vehicles, now it was my turn to turn and burn.

169370006cr.jpg

Let me tell you first hand, this is what every Mustang owner wished his car felt like, it is a complete extention of all your movements, it goes right where you point it and gives you $.10 change every time.

From 80mph, you shift it back into 3rd and drop the hammer, she ****'s 10-15 feet of smoking rubber and hooks and literally rockets to 150mph like you just went through the 10 items or less check out at HEB.

It's RAW, unadulterated rudness, authority with no holes barred, it's a full on Cobra Chubbie!

I looked at this as a once in a life time happening so I called in sick to take full advantage of this event, I just wanted to share this with you guys and gals knowing that some of you all are also Ford fanatics in other spectrums.

Have a great week!
:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was a great story! Thanks for sharing :D

That's a well documented journey! Sounds absolutely awesome....I'd let it go in my pants too if I had that car! I'm sooo jeolous!

Shibby!!!!!!! Aw man I'd fake some coughing for a day like that!!!

buttrock.gif
That Rocks!!

I played hookie yesterday.................but all I did was sit in front of the computer.:(

I was drooling just reading that story.

Actually, that wouldn't necessarily be considered playing hokie. Taking a personal day is now legal. You needed some stress relief and driving a Cobra R is just what the doctor ordered.

I managed an auto parts store for a year just for something to do on the side so I did quite a bit of homework on all the employee regulations as the GOV works just a bit different.

I still have the jitter's from driving that car, it is a bona-fide street legal race car.

It was a lot of fun.

Great friends, good food and domestic exotic supercars, just what the doctor ordered. :D

Make's the Mustang SVO I bought lastweek seem like a Neon.

I am impressed... That looks like a hella fun time. Man I wish I had known you were by Brian's... Id love to meet up with yall some day. (Im minutes from His house) Once again... very cool story. Someone at my church just bought a Saleen... oh so sweet. They had it out to play on this monst gorgeous of Sundays we just had!
--Bryan

Originally posted by NOTAJP
I Taking a personal day is now legal.

Well not where I work!!!!!! Sick time is not factored into the budget so its an extra cost to the company. I just moved from a sales area to where the other designers are above the production floor. So I am working with a different boss and designers. It is almost a crime to take a sick day and the boss here makes the determination as to whether or not you were really sick. My nephew and his friend worked here 2 summers ago and in 6 months they each took 1 day off for sickness, and since they were living with me I knew they were sick. Well I found out many weeks later that the boss here didn't pay them for the sick day cause he said they weren't really sick just wanted a 2 day weekend, since they were working 6 days a week. He claimed he had the right to ask for a doctors note when the oldest one confronted him on it. My nephew decided to not make waves after that encounter and never got paid for the sick day. The boss made the other guys time left here a living hell. That's why I am looking to change jobs within the company cause everyone calls this boss "The Fuhror"

I called in sick one day and he questioned me as to what was wrong, and when I replied I am sick he said "BULLSHIT". I actually was having some problems with a new medication I was on and it was none of his damn business!!!!

Originally posted by Soundguy01tx
I am impressed... That looks like a hella fun time. Man I wish I had known you were by Brian's... Id love to meet up with yall some day. (Im minutes from His house) Once again... very cool story. Someone at my church just bought a Saleen... oh so sweet. They had it out to play on this monst gorgeous of Sundays we just had!
--Bryan

Man we blew right through Mc Kinney, you didn't hear us???!!! lol!

Kurt,
You've actually have a case. He is not a MD, therefore cannot determine if one is sick or not. He can't legally tell you that you are not sick and forced to work. If I can find it, I'll give you the reference for stress and sick days.

Naw it doesn't matter this guy is a royal A-hole. The company likes him because he pays less sick time thans the rest of the company. Last yr his total paid sick time was less than 100 hrs in a year and this is for a plant with over 35 workers and 7 staff.

If you take no sick time they reward you with $100 at the end of the year, but most of these guys will make $200 a day b4 taxes so it doesn't make sense.

So Jack, do you all heil the Furher too? Maybe with the middle finger salute behind his back?

Originally posted by EBInterceptor
So Jack, do you all heil the Furher too? Maybe with the middle finger salute behind his back?

Oh most definitely!! He even has a dry erase board on his door titled "FUHROR FORD SAYS" and he writes some stupid message for the week. Thsi weeks was "I wake up every read Forbes 100 most successful people, don't see my name on it so I go to work" Now WTF does that say about him??

Anyways back to this thread.....SVO how much did he pay for that BABE MAGNET??? Also does it come with the number out of 300. I know many will say 35 of 300 or something like that.

Jeff,

I hope me talking to ya on the phone didn't cause your excursion into the median and oncoming traffic. :eek:

The day I bought my Sport Trac, a guy was picking up his red Cobra R from the same dealership. A sales person told me that this guy paid like $80k for it. If it's not too personal, did your friend get a much more depreciated value for his 00 Cobra R?
Is the performance of the 00 Cobra R much better than the 03 Cobras?

BTW, the Dallas axle swapped I had lined up for this upcoming weekend is off.

Here's a pic of that 00 Cobra R I saw the day I bought my Sport Trac. Sorry that it's in B/W, I forgot I had the camera on that setting when I was taking the pictures.

Attachments

• 00630006.jpg
    00630006.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 791

This was the guys other Mustang that his girlfriend drove home for him.

Attachments

• 00630004.jpg
    00630004.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 785

I like the black and white picture, more dramatic.....someday I'm going to have a car that badass.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some guys have all the luck. :banghead:

Back