1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

please help!! 1997 ford explorer GAS GAUGE --- and o2 sensors

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Smith22295, February 16, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Smith22295

Smith22295 New Member

City, State:
    Sarasota, Fl
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    97 XLT
    Hi there, i have a ford explorer 1997 4x4 SOHC with 105,000 miles. recently had lots of work done, new tranny, shocks, tires, and more little stuff. Now my gas gauge is EXTREMELY INACCURATE. As i am driving it is constantly moving, overtime i brake it goes up, when i access it goes dow. Depending on what position im in it changes. I drive to school in back (3 miles) and i go from half to 1/4 tank. then eventually it goes back up to half. Its frustrating because i know i only get like 15mpg but i mean i can literally watch my gas gauge go down and it seems like im burnin through it like crazy! any help?

Now here is the o2 sensor problem....
    I always have my check engine light on because eof the sensors. vie had it in and out of the shop a few times thinking it was something worse but its always just those sensors. They have checked them over and over and there is absolutely nothing wrong, so why is this light popping up? also one guy told me that my model only has 3 sensors but the computer thinks it has 4?? i don't really know but my main concur is the gas issue.

If anyone can help with either problem i would be very very appreciative. my main concern is the GAS GAUGE.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Smith22295

Smith22295 New Member

City, State:
    Sarasota, Fl
    97 XLT
    anyone?

4. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Reading Pa
    1999 Eddie Bauer
    Gas gauge seems like normal characteristic of design of gas tank, everyone i have owned does that. What are your codes? Could be intake gaskets

5. Smith22295

Smith22295 New Member

City, State:
    Sarasota, Fl
    97 XLT
    I hope the gas gauge isn't really that bad haha. as for the codes i believe it was "bank 2 too lean"

also this just popped in my head, id like to have that screen infront of the center consul that i see in some other explorers, the thing that tells you how mush till empty and what your average mpg is. any way i can get that installed?