Please help! 1997 ford explorer sport problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help! 1997 ford explorer sport problems

tjbean216

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Taurus
I'm new to the forum, so hello all! Now i'm having quite the problem with my brother in law's explorer. 1997 explorer sport 4.0 4x4 manual. Now what has happened is that there was two codes that we set out to fix were p0171 and p1131. We replaced the pcv valve and air filter and that seemed to help the p0171 code and we cleaned the corrosion off of the terminals for the 02 sensors and that seemed to help the p1131.

Now here is my problem we had the car running and it was smoothing itself out and then started running very awfully and eventually died and threw the code p0351 ignition coil malfunction. We ohm tested the coil and it seemed to check out fine, and we had just recently put in a new one. We checked the wiring to the pcm from the coil and found no breaks. The original coil connection was at one point pinched and wires were exposed, we replaced the connection with a nice one from the junk yard.

Needless to say after all of this the car wont fire. it doesn't want to start and when the key is held over it smells like gas. I'm at my wits end with this car and i really need your guys help. He is returning the coil and getting another one toady so we'll see if that covers it. Anything else I should do to get this explorer running?

Sorry for the novel, but thank you for the help!

I would do a bench test on the O2s and a fuel pressure check also spark test.

Back